No announcement yet.

USCG Compliant Nav Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is what the law says. The Coast Guard be damned.

What am I missing? I don't see anything that specifies the height of a side light other than it be at least one meter below the masthead light and not so low as to be interfered with by deck lights. Deck lights not entering into the equation in pleasure boats.

Jason, can you give us a link to where you are reading what you are reading?

§83.21 Definitions (Rule 21).

(b) Sidelights mean a green light on the starboard side and a red light on the port side each showing an unbroken light over an arc of the horizon of 112.5 degrees and so fixed as to show the light from right ahead to 22.5 degrees abaft the beam on its respective side. On a vessel of less than 20 meters in length the side lights may be combined in one lantern carried on the fore and aft centerline of the vessel, except that on a vessel of less than 12 meters in length the sidelights when combined in one lantern shall be placed as nearly as practicable to the fore and aft centerline of the vessel.

§84.02 Vertical positioning and spacing of lights.

(g) The sidelights of a power-driven vessel shall be placed at least one meter lower than the forward masthead light. They shall not be so low as to be interfered with by deck lights.

Comment

https://www.uscg.mil/d13/cfvs/CheckL...htPosition.pdf

Note that there are 2 governing laws, International and Inland. International is not to be confused with "international waters". International maritime law implies out of inland water, such as boating from an intercostal through a pass and out in open water. At which point international law applies.

Pay attention to:
      84.01(a)
      84.03(g)

Have fun...it's a mind bending read.
      Jason
      1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

why????
        I gotta green lamp for stbd.
        a red lamp for port.
        a white light visible 270* from astern.
        another white lamp visible 360* when anchored.
        that is about all my 21' seapro needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason2tpa View Post
          https://www.uscg.mil/d13/cfvs/CheckL...htPosition.pdf

Note that there are 2 governing laws, International and Inland. International is not to be confused with "international waters". International maritime law implies out of inland water, such as boating from an intercostal through a pass and out in open water. At which point international law applies.

Pay attention to:
          84.01(a)
          84.03(g)

Have fun...it's a mind bending read.
          Did you mean to type 84.02(g)? There is no 84.03(g).

§ 84.01 Definitions.
          (a) The term height above the hull means height above the uppermost continuous deck. This height shall be measured from the position vertically beneath the location of the light.

§ 84.02 Vertical positioning and spacing of lights.
          (g) The sidelights of a power-driven vessel shall be placed at least one meter lower than the forward masthead light. They shall not be so low as to be interfered with by deck lights.

I still don't understand the issue. If a boat does not have deck lights that can interfere with side lights then as I read the law the side lights can be down to the water line if someone wants to position them there.

Comment

Be pretty rare for a boat to not have some kind of deck lights, even a small single light illuminating (say) a bait board, is a deck light, trying to find ways to twist terminology or escape laws might be OK for the owner, the problem arises from other boaters, YOUR lights are there to protect you, don't turn your lights in, get run over by a 60' cruiser, now who should have compliant lights??

Comment

We can't even agree upon the definition of "is'. No way we will ever agree upon the definition of the word "light".

Can't you guys down under manage your own refugees without calling on the USA to bail you out? Our new boss here up over has got plans to stop being the worlds "keeper".

Not a single one of my boats had a "deck" light. Whatever that is.

Comment

Don't know exactly what you are trying to say, but, use what lights you like, the laws are there, in plain black and white, don't comply if you think that way, makes no difference to me, just the same as people run red lights and stop signs, most get away with it, but, now and then, some don't, with dire consequences!

Comment

I never had a deck light either.
                  I thought that was mainly for large boats where you needed to see when walking around on deck at night.
                  anchor light on the flying bridge

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                    Did you mean to type 84.02(g)? There is no 84.03(g).
                    84.03(g) is correct. There is no 84.02 code, it skips from 84.01 to 84.02. Click on this link and go to page 19.

https://www.uscgboating.org/regulati...book/PART1.pdf

Here's the low down as far as I believe. You've got 2 sets of rules, international and inland. In regards to a vessel less than 39ft, if you have the bow light (side lights) mounted on or below the rub rail navigating INLAND, this is ok.

However, when navigating INTERNATIONAL it is not ok.

Why?
                    84.03(g) of Inland rules does not specify "height above the hull" location of bow light, but 84.03(g) of International rules does specify "height above the hull" location of bow light. By which the bow light (side lights) need be on the upper most continuous deck surface.

When do International rules apply? The FWC officer informed me incorrectly on location of when international rules apply. He told me international rules are high seas, essentially out of inland waters (gulf of mexico or atlantic for us Floridians). However, this isn't entirely correct. Inland waters are termed "territorial". Here is direct quote from USCG:

"Territorial seas of the United States are 12 nautical miles from the baseline of the United States of America".

In summary, if you've got rub rail lights or below rub rail side lights navigating in inland waters, you're good. Navigate 12miles offshore, you're not.

Putting this puppy to rest. Too much USCG code reading means I've got too much time to kill. King of beers is calling, I'm gonna say hi.
                    Jason
                    1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Working...
                    X