Coastal residents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coastal residents?

Question for any who live on coast south of NC.

I live on the coast of GA. We have these damned sand gnats. They are a plague that afflict us during the cooler months. Best time of the year. Some may refer to them as "no see ums". I spent a good deal of time in SC as a kid and do not remember them. They swarm and bite. Get in your hair and chew on your scalp. As soon as May rolls around, they disappear.

Is this an issue in FL, LA and TX?

Citrus based repellants seem to work when applied liberally, that's not my question....

They can be an issue in the Florida panhandle. Certain times of the year they will chew your arse.

Oh, and then there are those wonderful little fellows the yellow flies. Generally when you find one on you he is about a half inch burrowed down into your flesh. Nasty buggers they be.

Comment

ahh, "biting midges".

We have them year round in Big Pine Key,

The scientists say there are 47 different species of them in Florida.

I've read that one can eventually develop a "tolerance" to the itching response

and my personal experience seems to bear that out.

Much of the year - now - although I can see them on me - presumably chewing-

I'm not bothered.

But whatever species is predominant late November - January still kicks my butt.

Comment

We boat a lot in Florida and depending on the time of year we have mosquitoes, sand knats,black flies, yellow flies, deer flies, horse flies, love bugs, blind mosquitoes, chiggers, etc...Yep, we get 'em!.....

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
          ahh, "biting midges".

We have them year round in Big Pine Key,

The scientists say there are 47 different species of them in Florida.

I've read that one can eventually develop a "tolerance" to the itching response

and my personal experience seems to bear that out.

Much of the year - now - although I can see them on me - presumably chewing-

I'm not bothered.

But whatever species is predominant late November - January still kicks my butt.
          Yes, the cool weather version. We have them in clouds. About the only time I like wind. Thing about yellow flies, once they land, they are slow to react.

Comment

We used to have no see-ums(SW Florida), very rare but then it's pretty much built up around here.

I'm outside a very good part of the day doing something, I don't have any issues with knats, flys, etc... Guess I don't taste good...
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
            X