Back Pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back Pressure

Anybody out there have information on the theory of back pressure in relation to 2 stroke outboards?

I don't know about "theory", but from real world experience they usually need back pressure on the exhaust side (prop) to help them run smoothly. That's why they often run a little crazy when out of the water and only on muffs.
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

With water flowing over the gear case at speed, tending to create a negative pressure area aft of the exhaust outlet, how might that affect back pressure?

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
        With water flowing over the gear case at speed, tending to create a negative pressure area aft of the exhaust outlet, how might that affect back pressure?
        Add thrust from prop and who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
          Hmmm. I dunno. But does the load on the engine and the increased exhaust flow out the prop have anything to do with it?

It seems like when on the muffs, the only real issue (that I've noticed) is low/idle RPM. Advancing the throttle seems to be fine and the engine runs normal.
          2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
          1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

One of the inherent "features" of a simple carb 2 stroke is the fact that they need to be under load to run smoothly (HPDI/DI excluded) and one of the main reasons they were never further developed for auto use (plus oil costs were high, old 2 strokes were around 16/1 ratio) because of the "raw" method of exhaust in a 2 stroke, unlike a 4 stroke where there is the head, valves and a manifold system for exhaust, a 2 stroke has a simple "hole" (called a port) that when uncovered the spent gas just rushes out in an uncon*****ed condition, making the distinct "dak,dak,dak" cackle of a 2 stroke not under load, an exhaust system of sorts is required for better operation, this exhaust controls the outlet by "back pressure" (in very simple terms) and in a very simple way, is like valve timing in your 4 stroke, because at times, the ports can overlap, creating inefficiency.
            Last edited by ausnoelm; 02-08-2017, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
              I don't know about "theory", but from real world experience they usually need back pressure on the exhaust side (prop) to help them run smoothly. That's why they often run a little crazy when out of the water and only on muffs.
              +1 ^^^.

Out of the water on muffs, the idle tends to be higher than if the water.

Once under way, (and above idle), I don't believe the back pressure, or lack of affects performance at all... IE, on plane, (higher RPM's) it's pretty much a moot point..

Four strokes, (FI'ed at least), they idle down to normal on muffs and WAY quieter...
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
              X