Flywheel Wobble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flywheel Wobble

I have a 1989 30ELF. The crank went bad so I picked up a used powerhead. When I got it, I checked the compression and noticed that when the starter ran the flywheel wobbled a little. I tightened the nut down and it still wobbled. I put on another flywheel from my old powerhead and it wobbled also.

So, did I buy a lemon?

Is the crank bent?

Is the crank mount bad?

I'm at a loss!!!!

pull plugs and flywheel, turn over/crank to see if the top end of the crank is indeed bent.

Comment

It look like it is slightly bent. What effect would this have if I ran this motor?

Comment

birdup,
        If the wobble is in the vertical plane, I wouldn't worry about it.
        If the wobble is in the horizontal plane, then you are going to have problems.
        Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
        Ken K

Comment

Ken,

could you please explain what you mean. How do you know what plane it is in?

Comment

I think Ken means wobble up and down (vertical) won't cause much vibration versus side to side (horizontal) which could cause severe vibration at various speeds.

Comment

birdup,
              Yeah, what Wally said [img]smile.gif[/img] .
              If you get down and have your eyesight in the same plane as the flywheel, then you would be looking for wobble in the vertical plane. That would be a sign of a bent flywheel.
              If you get your head straight over the motor and look down so that your vision is perpendicular to the plane of the flywheel, then you would be looking for wobble in the horizontal direction.
              That would be bad as it would indicate that the crank is bent, and that can lead to prematurely worn out seals/bearings, not to mention abnormal vibration.
              Hope this helps [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
              Ken K

Comment

One day I noticed the same thing on my 1989 50HP. The next time out the top main bearing froze. I was tired of working on the thing and decided to replace it. Fortunatelly I was able to sell it "as is"...

Comment

Working...
                X