Ethanol and Yamaha trivia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethanol and Yamaha trivia

I stumbled upon a Yamaha parts catalog that covers a 2016 90 HP two stroke model. I noted that the model comes with two different jet sizes. One coded for CAR and RUS (which is the Caribbean and Russia) and one for BRA (Brazil). The jet for BRA is four sizes larger than the other jet.

I then Googled gasoline in Brazil. Has up to 27% ethanol in it. Looks to me as if more gasoline with the higher concentration of ethanol is needed to get the motor to run satisfactorily. Less economy with a higher priced gasoline.

God help us all if we ever have >10% ethanol shoved down or throats.

"There are no longer any light vehicles in Brazil running on pure gasoline. Since 1976 the government made it mandatory to blend anhydrous ethanol with gasoline, fluctuating between 10% to 22%. In 2003 these limits were set at a minimum of 20% and a maximum of 25%. By mid March 2015 the government raised temporarily the ethanol blend in regular gasoline from 25% to 27%.[/I][19]"

Why? I thought Brazil has assloads of oil off their coast?

Comment

Brazil seems that dont have so many models available as in US or EU and 2strk still selling good...

On my F100 tested carbs using jet sizes for brazil and no diference at all with our 95 octane gas.

My guess is that the carbs in Brazil (on a same model as F100) may have some diferences also

Comment

Brazil make their E fuels from sugar cane.
        they can get up to 4 crops a year and it produces way more than corn.
        they use the cane and sell the oil.
        unlike our idiotic policy,we burn food.

some years back brazil had a policy that new vehicles had to run on 100% ethanol.

now we go back to the ethanol/methanol debate.
        E/M is arbitrarily rated at 100 octane. it simply wont detonate.
        E/M burns at about 7-1 Air to fuel
        gasoline at about 14-1.

means for the same displacement engine we use twice the amount of fuel for E/M than gasoline.
        it is simply how it works.

Comment

Now, will a FI'ed engine make up for the difference??
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

if the ECU is programmed for it.
            engine displacement typically cannot be altered.
            injector on time is a simple ECU truth table.

Comment

Wasn't this ethanol in the gas business hatched when crude oil was $100 a barrel?....Now at $50 a barrel I guess we're still stuck with it?....

Comment

the E cwap was jammed on us by the epa.
                it was to replace an oxygen bearing MTBE.

Comment

I would think different sized offices in injectors or changing the pressure would also increase the amount of fuel flowed.

But as Rod posted keeping all other parts the same, just change the on time of the injectors will allow more fuel to flow

another thought, I guess the Specific gravity of the different fuel affects flow rate also

Comment

Working...
                  X