Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 tilt/trim and 1 tach questions from newbie

I have a 2001(new to me) 200 HPDI. My problems are:

1) The tilt/trim button on the throttle suddenly stopped being able to raise the motor. The buttons on the motor still operate fine, so I can get the motor out of the water

2) One of the two trim rods will not retract

3) The digital display has gone bad on the tach. I think the functionality is still there, just the LCD has failed.

Can anyone offer advice on the tilt/trim problems, and do I have to completely replace the tach unit, or can I replace just the display?

Thanks

son,
    Trim/tilt button - first try squirting some WD-40 into/around the switch. Work the switch back and forth several times and let set over nite.
    Check the bottom of the control (704?) and follow the wires that come out. I'm thinking that they tie into the main harness by way of snap-in connectors. If so, check all wire connections for corrosion - make sure they are tight.
    After checking connections and letting the WD-40 work in over nite, if the switch still is bad, then you are going to have to replace the switch.

Trim rod - will the trim rod retract enough to allow the motor to trim down fully?
    Try raising the motor all the way up and dropping down the tilt locking lever (for safety). Squirt some WD-40 around the base of the trim ram where it goes into the cylinder. Let set for couple of hours. Wipe clean and apply some marine grease to all the rams, on the sides and ends. This probably won't work, but it's worth a try.

LCD gauge - I would check the back of the gauge - inspect all of the wire connections for corrosion.
    Make sure all are tight.
    This is really about all you can do for the gauge, and unfortunately the LCD display cannot be replaced separately from the rest of the gauge.

Boats.net, sponsor of this forum, is a great source for new parts. If sticker shock overwhelms you on a new tach, try e-bay for a used one.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

Working...
    X