2006 200TXRD hpdi wiring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 200TXRD hpdi wiring question

Happy to say that I have no current issues but I did find something troubling under my console.

After having the boat for about a year and having no issue other than a oil transfer that was an easy fix, I was under the console and found a wire that has a lug on it floating (purple in color). It comes straight from the main harness. I had never seen it before but I went and looked back at some photos I had took when I first purchased sure enough, it is free hanging in the picture as well.

Can someone explain what the purple wire is used for? Could I be damaging/have I damaged something? And what steps to take from here?

Much appreciated. Thank you

Purple is not a colour that is normally used by Yamaha. With Mercury, it is for key on power. Is the wire that you found powered when the key is on and not powered when the key is off?

Was the boat repowered with Yamaha or is the motor original to the boat?

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
      Purple is not a colour that is normally used by Yamaha. With Mercury, it is for key on power. Is the wire that you found powered when the key is on and not powered when the key is off?

Was the boat repowered with Yamaha or is the motor original to the boat?
      Same outboard since original purchase. I will have to check tonight when I get home if it's receiving power when key is in the on position.

I traced it back to the main harness connector thinking possibly someone might have rewired it using mis-matched color, but on both sides of connection the wire is purple. The floating lug seems to be broken out with the wires that go up toward my tach and speed gauges, I know that's not very helpful considering it's close enough to hook to anything (tach, power, ground)

Comment

Here is a diagram showing typical Yamaha wire colours. I suspect that the wire you are referring to is a boat builder special. Might want to contact the boat builder to see why he did what he did.

Comment

Just went for a quick look and I have many many more colors than that on the main harness. I have a brown and white, orange and white and more. Do I have a harness that doesn't belong to my outboard?

Comment

what brand of boat is it?
            many boat builders use a Yamaha ign harness from the motor to the console then get all cheap with aftermarket stuff and house built/purchased console harness's.

Comment

Might be a Mercury harness.

Wiring Color Codes for Mercury & Mariner Outboard Motors.

As rodnut suggests, and I suggested earlier, contact the boat builder. Whatever is in the boat was put there by the boat builder.

Now if you are not the original owner, know that anyone ahead of you could have done whatever they wanted to the boat. It happens. They don't make a record of what they did.

Comment

Working...
              X