89 200 won't shift to neutral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 200 won't shift to neutral

Ok when trying to shift back from forward to neutral, my carbs won't fully return back to idle. The problem doesn't always happen but is annoying when it happens.

The problem is not the shift shaft but the linkage that is connected to the accelerator rod lever that controls all three carbs. Sorry for my lack of correct terminoligy but that piece that rests on the throttle control doesn't return to fully rest on the control lever. That make sense??

Anyway, my upper and lower carb look like they have a return spring but the middle one does not. Is this normal or did the middle one break?

you need to first, ensure your throttle works correctly. unhook gear cable/at motor and work throttle only back n forth to resolve that issue, making sure it opens and closes fully. then when it is adjusted correctly, go ahead to the gear shift.with it unhooked, run motor in idle and find neutral on shift shaft linkage AND throttles. adjust 33c cable end over the linkage and tighten it back up.in its condition now it could cause some not-fun problems docking etc.

Comment

The throttle returns all the way. The piece connected to the carb does not. It stops about 1 inch from idle.

The piece I am talking about is the part that rests on the throttle that is connected to the middle carb which also is connected to the other carbs via a rod.

It appears the throttle pushes on it when accelerating and when the throttle is pulled back, the return springs keep it at rest on the throttle. This is the case until that last inch where it is getting hung up.

Comment

well one psrt or the other is hangin up, unhook cable and move manually. then you can remove the triple ball socket linkage and open butterflies individually also to see which is the issue. one could be out of sync etc.also you will need to remove the airbox to watch them open n close.2 of 3 springs should return it, maybe not.if thats the case, you can rewind the springs like the others if one came out of its place.when all works ok there, ensure cable is working bith ways also.could push open and not pull close, as in a broken 33c cable.

Comment

Working...
        X