No announcement yet.

Drive shaft collar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't think that I would be using any grease. The collar needs to stay put to mitigate drive shaft bounce.

Using the pry methodology makes removing the collar a non-issue.

It is amazing how using the right tools can make a job so much easier. See removal of the Woodruff key as an example.

Comment

some collars are very tight,so tight that I simply cut them off.
      woodruff keys can be stupidly tight, yet there is a simple way to remove them.

Comment

I use a propane torch to warm the stainless retainer
        up, comes rite off.

Comment

Originally posted by walleye1 View Post
          I use a propane torch to warm the stainless retainer
          up, comes rite off.
          any insights to share regarding the melting point of the plastic collar underneath?

Comment

Replace it

Comment

I have the same issue as a previous poster here a while back, and he never got an answer. I'll ask again.

Upon reassembly with a new plastic and metal collar. Can't get it to sit tight on the drive shaft. Any tips ?

Comment

I use a big adjustable wrench. Adjust so it just fits over metal collar. Whack it hard! Probably harder than you think. Pulling up on shaft at the same time as directed for my unit.

Boscoe had a nice pic of this set up I believe.

Comment

Tried all that, seems those 2 parts have a slight bevel to them

Comment

Comment

I didn't hit the top of collar. Adjusted wrench so it impacted halfway down the collar. Using the bevel as you mentioned.

Comment

while pulling up hit the top of the collar.

Comment

Scofflaw, did you get it seated?

Comment

Currently attached, but been off a few times over the past 2 years. I can't get it to hold, but whatever, doesn't really seem to matter, new parts or not. What I do know is, the first time I took it off, it was on there real good.

Comment

I had a mechanic replace the water pump on my 115hp . he was unable to replace the drive shaft collar but told me it wasn't necessary. Now I'm worried that could damage my motor to operate it without the drive shaft collar. Any opinions?

Comment

go worry about something else.
                                then go find a mokanic that is properly trained before he actually screws something up.
                                the only reason that collar/washer stack is there is to prevent driveshaft thrust bearing knock at low rpm in gear.
                                it can be annoying.
                                wont hurt anything.
                                but if your mokanic caint figgir that out you may wish to find a mokanic that is actually trained.
                                look for some skewl certs on his wall.

Comment

Working...
                                X