Remanufacture power head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remanufacture power head

I am told my 2005 200HPDI's both have bad compression in all the cylinders. I have just under 2000 hours on these engines. To remanufacture it will cost $6K per engine which would include,

Ultrasonically clean the injectors
    Change VST filters
    Replace all low pressure fuel pumps
    Replace all wearable parts
    1 year warranty

Is this all that is involved in having the engines remanufactured? Should I be looking for more? Is the cost fair?

Originally posted by scubadog View Post

Replace all wearable parts
    Taken on its face, that certainly seems comprehensive.

Comment

I would be a little concerned to say the least.

Comment

never heard of all cylinder having bad compression on 2 motors at the same time.

Why did you take the boat in to shop to start out with?

might want to find another shop with Yamaha master tech employed, so he can have a look.
        I would think they are blowing smoke up your ### for some reason

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
          never heard of all cylinder having bad compression on 2 motors at the same time.

the reason, perhaps, that the shop could use some work...

Of course they are 2000 hr motors,

and we don't know what is their definition of "bad"

Comment

I call BS.
            unless you sunk it there is no way to dump compression in 12 cylinders at the same time.
            does the facility you have your boat at employ a Yamaha master tech?
            if not find one.
            or at least post the compression numbers.
            2 strokes simply don't wear out and lose compression.
            pistons typically fail and you dump compression on one hole.

the ONLY 2 stokes I ever saw fail by detonating all 6 were the Z250 motors just after the ECU/oil pump update.

Comment

Just gitting into it

Thanks for the feed back. I am in the early stages of looking at engines. Waiting on the compression reports and computer download to be sent over. The reason I had them look at it was, never had an issue with engines in the years I have had engines until last run last season. Both engines shut down to 1500 rpms and would not get back up unless I let them rest. Found out it was going into guardian mode(?). The cause I am being told is the starboard engine oil injector pump had failed. Also felt like engines were never correctly installed right the first time. So I had them inspected, That is where I am at. Will be reaching out to another Yamaha shop Monday.

Comment

sound like a standard fuel restriction or water/trash in fuel.

could oil pump fail? not likely but not impossible I guess
                but if alarm system was not working(sounding) properly on one motor and it went into RPM reduction ,the twin set up could limit RPM on both motors.

but the gauges should have showed it

need a good shop and tech to look at it

Comment

What is the chance of any one cylinder failing? Pretty low.

What is the chance of two or more cylinders failing at the same time? Pretty damn low.

What is the chance of all cylinders on one motor failing at the same time? Damn near impossible.

What is the chance of all cylinders on two motors failing at the same time?

Now having 2000 hours on a two stroke motor would, IMO, might cause the motor to be "run out". That is, normal wear and tear has taken its toll. Might be time for a routine overhaul. For comparisons sake, BRP Rotax puts the stated life of a two stroke airplane motor as being 300 hours.

In the marine world there is no agreed upon definition as to what "remanufactured", "rebuilt", "overhauled", etc. really mean. Could be simply taking stuff apart and putting it back together. But why? Could mean a complete disassembly, measuring all parts, and replacing them with new parts if old parts don't mean SM limits. Or somewhere between the two extremes. You get what you pay for.

Need to know the compression values recorded for you motors. Yamaha has minimum limits published. Or you can do a leak down to satisfy rodnut.

Comment

I have worked exclusively with Yamaha dealers at two drystack facilities since 1998.
                    I worked on more Yamaha two strokes than most have seen.
                    I have NEVER seen an oil pump failure.
                    I have seen alarm systems fail and create issues.
                    I have seen oil links fail and cause issues.
                    rigged correctly a twin V Yamaha setup will cause both engine to reduce RPM to about 2300 on both engines if either has an issue.
                    both key on will self test the alarm system.
                    single engine Yamaha no self test, twins self test.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

Why did you take the boat in to shop to start out with?

might want to find another shop with Yamaha master tech employed, so he can have a look.
                      Good pick-up! At that price, too easy to back check their conclusion with "good enough for one use" instruments from Amazon with free shipping.

If this is a local shop, you'll be in the ocean relying on the expertise of a single tech or orangutan. I prefer an independent remanuacturing company that sends you. Power head in a box that gets re-use to return the core.

BTW, years ago a memer couldn't get his 90 two stroke Yamaha's new powerless above 3000 RPM despite several return trips to the shop. He finally discovered they forgot the spark advance linkage.

Comment

Originally posted by scubadog View Post
                        . . . Waiting on the compression reports and computer download to be sent over. . .
                        There's a red flag - When was the last time the alignment, emmission, or engine code reports weren't attached to the receipt?

Comment

compressions

I wanted to post the compression readings in my engines and look forward to your feedback.

Star Port
                          1. 90 1. 90
                          2. 90 2. 108
                          3. 90 3. 105
                          4. 117 4. 100
                          5. 95 5. 100
                          6. 90 6. 100

Port engine also was noted to have a knock. There were no codes of any significants were found.

Thank you all for input.

Comment

I can send you some numbers that will look good , but would that mean anything?

do you trust these people that have your rig?

I would pick it up and take to another shop to get a second opinion or test myself. just to be sure if those are correct.
                            find a shop with a Yamaha master tech

there is no alarm or anything else tied to the oil pump on a motor.
                            only low level in the tanks will alarm and limit RPM

Did you get any alarms or indications on your gauges when they dropped RPM?

If run without sufficient oil for the pumps to pump, there could be all sorts of problems
                            Last edited by 99yam40; 01-24-2017, 09:45 PM.

Comment

I am not sure what good compression on these motors are, 100? I will be contacting a 2nd shop today.

Comment

Working...
                              X