Seastar end bracket removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seastar end bracket removal

Has anyone fashioned a rig or tool to remove the end brackets from a hydraulic steering mechanism? This part has to be removed to replace the seals. Other than buying a special tool for $100.....

the support arms???

I slit a piece of 3/4 tubing and place over the cyl shaft.
    then I use a 2" by 14" brass bar and a 4lb hammer.
    a couple love taps and they are off.

Comment

Sounds like a plan. I'll start searching for a brass bar.

Thanks.

Comment

remember to use some tubing to protect the cyl shaft.
        one ding and it is trash.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post

then I use a 2" by 14" brass bar
          that's >$100 and 13lb right there.....

Comment

you can use a 3/4 dia bar.
            I have had that large bar since the 80's when I was working at a machine shop. it was scrapped.
            but it will transfer a lot of whack energy.
            and it is easy to hit .

Comment

when swinging a big hammer it is a very good thing to hit what you are swinging at.

Make sure you are looking at what you plan on hitting and not you hand, saying I sure hope I do not hit my hand.

I have noticed I have a better chance of hitting my hand if I am looking at it instead of the bar/punch, and hoping

Comment

Fairdeal, have you replaced your Seastar seals yet?

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
                  that's >$100 and 13lb right there.....
                  I found a site online with 3/4" bar for $20/ft.
                  Probably be useful with other projects too.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                    the support arms???

I slit a piece of 3/4 tubing and place over the cyl shaft.
                    then I use a 2" by 14" brass bar and a 4lb hammer.
                    a couple love taps and they are off.
                    Rodbolt, what would you charge for a rebuild with the kit? Including whatever fluid you would use....

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                      I found a site online with 3/4" bar for $20/ft.
                      Probably be useful with other projects too.
                      Check out your local metal recycle shops. I buy 6' or lest used metal at $1.80/lb for projects such as this.

Comment

all the metal scrap yards around here will not sell to individuals.
                        I guess it has to do with keeping track of stuff that may be stolen.

I know there was lots of aluminum buss bar and copper too that disappeared from storage areas out at the plants I use to work at

heck I tried to scrap a bronze grave marker my uncle told me to get rid of when I helped him move. new still in the box(even thou the box was in bad shape).
                        I never found anyone that would take it.
                        My sister took it to see if she could find an artist or someone that would.
                        I need to ask her if she ever did.
                        Last edited by 99yam40; 01-21-2017, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                          Fairdeal, have you replaced your Seastar seals yet?
                          Shortly after I bought my boat (at that time, ~ 9 years old)

I was repeatedly getting air in the system.

On close inspection, the ram had significant pitting of the chrome;

so even new seals would not have solved the problem.

I found a great deal on a new cylinder and just replaced the whole thing.

I was lucky, those arms came off easily ( maybe only one had to come off?)

IIRC, the fine print of written instructions from Teleflex

say to take all that apart periodically, clean & reassemble.

"Good advice" - not that any will follow - but CYA for them.

Comment

Best area to hit is "inside" bracket I would think. Tight spot and the brass would not nick the stainless shaft if it made contact.

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
                              Shortly after I bought my boat (at that time, ~ 9 years old)

I was repeatedly getting air in the system.

On close inspection, the ram had significant pitting of the chrome;

so even new seals would not have solved the problem.

I found a great deal on a new cylinder and just replaced the whole thing.

I was lucky, those arms came off easily ( maybe only one had to come off?)

IIRC, the fine print of written instructions from Teleflex

say to take all that apart periodically, clean & reassemble.

"Good advice" - not that any will follow - but CYA for them.
                              No one ever flushes these things either until they fail. That fluid gets nasty as what is in the cylinder stays there. No system flow...

Comment

Working...
                              X