Spoons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spoons

I need some information on my 1996, yamaha 2-stroke, 70hp, outboard. I have had intermittent starting problems. At times it will start right away and other times I turn the key in the and I get nothing or a click. My batteries are fine, (new) and eventually after 5-10 tries it starts. So, is this a coil, starter or solenoid problem. Any information will be appreciated.
    Thanks, Spoons!

Very possible a starter relay but your going to have to do some checking.

Check (as in R&R) the battery terminals as well as all the battery connections and starter wires on the engine. Just looking don't count. Remove, clean, re-install.

Put a voltage meter on the starter when someone turns the key to crank and see if it's getting 12+ volts...

If it is getting 12 volts, and still no crank, the starter itself is the issue (good ground, good positive connection assumed).

Plz post what you find..

(Also, do you have a Perko type battery switch? Crappy contacts in the switch would cause issues)..

Part #23, I think is your starter relay: http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...201/parts.html
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 01-17-2017, 06:09 PM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Could be your key switch too.

Comment

I have seen bad cables and bad cable connections do this also, get a arc and it makes good connection finally. Positive and negative side can do it.

testing with a meter where you get good voltage and where you do not when hitting the key would be beneficial

Comment

The old voltage drop testing regimen. Good stuff. Good batteries but the damn thing will not start. Search on this site for voltage drop....

Comment

As was said, double check your cables and connections....seems the humid marine environment plays heck with these items. Unlike cars and trucks where most electricals are under a generally hot and dry engine compartment...

Comment

Working...
            X