Oil Feed Arm on Carb on 90TLR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Feed Arm on Carb on 90TLR

I'm finally getting my carbs back on my 90TLR after cleaning them. However, I'm not sure which way the arm to the oil feed regulator goes back on. I thought I remembered that the arm attaching to the carb swung down but an air tube to the carb seems to be in the way. Attaching it 180 degrees up it seems to clear everything but moves the arm in the opposite direction when the throddle is opened.

Anyone know whick way is the correct way? I suspect my oil injection will be high at low throddle and low at high throddle if I don't pick the right way to attach the arm.

I guess no one recalls the lever position.

After zooming in on the carb detail schematic at Yamaha it looks like the lever goes above the hose connection rather than below it and rotates forward when the throttle is opened.

Comment

Wally,
      What year model do you have?
      I looked at a 2000 90 and could not tell which way the control rod goes, but then I am not that familiar with the oil injection model.
      The boats.net guy usually answers questions like this, but he must be on vacation - haven't seen him in a while .
      Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
      Ken K

Comment

Ken, It was manufactured in 2005 but Yamaha tells me it is a 2006 model. The Yamaha carb schematic shows the lever mounted in the "up" postion (Need to zoom a couple times to see it). I'm still waiting for my Shop Manual to arrive (ordered 2 weeks ago) that may clarify the lever position.

Comment

Yes it swings down, move the tube out of the way and secure it with a black tie-wrap.

Mike

Comment

Mike, it is where the tube attaches to the carb that is in the way. When the throttle is opened with it down it swings up slightly and rubbs that connection which doesn't look right to me. The carb diagram at Yamaha shows it above the hose connection (swinging forward when throttle opens instead of back). Are you looking at a service manual description?

Comment

Wally I looked through the service manual again and found two different descriptions (oh, great...). The big exploded view in the oil section shows it hanging down. The periodic maintenance section shows another close up of the oil pump and the linkage appears to come from over the top. So I've loaded that pic onto the picture processor for you to look at. Here's a link:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...OilLinkage.jpg

Hopefully you can get a good idea from the pic. Sorry for the confusion.

Mike......Miami, FL

Comment

Mike, Thanks. The pic you posted looks like the linkage as it connects to the oil pump. (The arrow in your pic seems to confirm that the linkage moves forward as the throttle is opened). I didn't disconnect it there. The other end of the linkage connects to an arm on the bottom carb. I removed the arm from the carb leaving it attached to the linkage.

If you go to the Yamaha schematic http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard/parts/home.aspx
                (select Outboard; 2006; 90TLR; then Carburetor) zoom a couple times then look at the bottom carb and you will see the lever (right side of carb as you face it).

It appears to go above the hose connection on the carb. That would move the arm forward when the throttle opens. Does that look like how it appears in the shop manual?

The reasons I seem confused, although I don't see how the arm can hang down if it hits the hose connection are:
                1. I seem to recall it was hanging down but my memory could be bad.
                2. There is a spring at the oil pump side of the linkage that wants to push the linkage forward which I would assume is the rest position (opposite direction of what I would expect).
                3. There is a stop on the oil pump side which seems like a closed or starting positon and it also is at the arm all the way forward position.

Thanks for your help.
                Wally

Comment

Ok, the exploded view in the service manual is exactly like this view:
                  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...RodCircled.gif

I just grabbed the pic off Boats.net catalog since it was easier.
                  Yes the oil pump arm is spring loaded to the idle position. As long as your carbs are at the idle position it should snap back together fairly obviously. Post your email and I can send you the section out of the book.

Mike

Comment

Thanks, Mike. I did see that schematic but it seemed not as clear as the other one I posted that shows the lever at the end of the linkage to be above the hose connection instead of below it. But that makes the spring on the oil injector to work backwards.

But, if the spring on the oil injector is spring loaded to the idle position and the idle position is forward, then the arrow on the first schematic you showed should be clockwise instead of counterclockwise as it is. My spring wants to push it counterclockwise. So, I'm still confused.

I should have my shop manual Friday but I may need to go look at another engine to feel comfortable with which way is right.

Thanks.
                    Wally

Comment

Working...
                    X