150 Hard Starting when Cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 150 Hard Starting when Cold

I have a 1999 150 that is hard to start after sitting over night or after several hours when tilted up all of the way. It starts immediatly after it warms up and runs great. Do the 1999s have the electric choke (Push in Key) or the prime start feature? What is the correct procedure to use if its the electric choke?

efp,
    Your motor has an electric choke - push starter switch (or separate button?) in to engage. Make sure the primer bulb has been squeezed till firm.
    Open throttle just a little above idle - out of gear, of course. That's the routine on my C115.

Remove the air breather that covers the carbs, and observe the choke action when someone engages it from the console. Do not crank engine, just engage choke. The choke butterfly valve plates should close completely. Adjust the linkage if they do not.
    Looking at a diagram of a 99 150 in the online catalog above, I do not see a manual choke. But if you have one, then pull the knob all the way out and observe how much it closes the choke plates. Both the electric and manual chokes should close the butterfly plates all the way.
    When I start my C115 cold, I have to choke it until it fires - takes maybe four seconds. I release the choke as soon as I hear it fire.
    After motor is warm, no need for the choke to start again. But if it has been, say, two hours since I shut it down to fish, then I have to bump the choke again to get it started. I also have to pump the primer bulb again if the motor has been tilted for as little as one hour.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

Ken,
      Thanks for the advice, I'll check it out this weekend.
      efp

Comment

Working...
      X