F 350 t stat change tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F 350 t stat change tips?

Looking to change my t-stats in my F350 XCB. Is it pretty straightforward or are there any tips / tricks that I should be aware of?

Use a little grease on the bolt threads before you tighten them down. Don't overtighten the bolts. I can't remember, maybe 6 lb ft of torque?

How old are the thermostats?

Edit: I have an F150. The manual shows two stage tightening: first torque to 4.4 lb ft and the second(final) 8.9 lb ft. Not sure for the F350. Maybe someone can check the specifics.
    Last edited by pstephens46; 01-09-2017, 02:52 PM.

Comment

You should have a service manual as it gives a procedure for removing and testing the thermostats. Some disassembly of the motor is needed to gain access to the thermostat covere.

Also, the book give torque values. 8.9 lb-ft is given for the thermostat cover attach bolts. Use of grease/oil on the threads of the fasteners is not specified.

Comment

I know the manual doesn't specify grease for the threads. Those particular bolts, on my engine, have more rust than I have found on any others. That is why I started using a SMALL amount before tightening.

Or you could drop it off at Joe's Marine Services in Wanchese. Rodbolt loves working on F350s.
        Last edited by pstephens46; 01-09-2017, 03:08 PM.

Comment

lubricant will effect torque values

Comment

torque????
            yall be killin me .

look folks it is a 6x1mm bolt.
            use a 1/4 drive ratchet and one hand.
            I grease everything(mostly) if used in salt water applications.

however I will admit I have only been working in the salt pond since about 1989.

before that it was 450 miles to the salt pond.

Comment

I presume that if a guy comes here and asks a question he is concerned about doing it the right way. The way that Yamaha would want it done. Not the backyardigan way.

If he wants to do it the right way then simply follow the service manual.

If he wants to do it the backyardigan way (no torque wrench, incorrect application of oil/lubes/whatnot), then he does not need the SM or any advice from any of us. He can simply just get out his half inch drive impact wrench and start removing and reinstalling fasteners.

The Helicoil/Timesert people love those backyardigans. Helps the economy.

Comment

it is only a 6mm bolt that holds a cover down.
                not many torque wrenchs read 8.9 FTlb.
                if it is a critical fastener such as a rodbolt,flywheel nut/bolt or a headbolt then torque becomes critical.
                I do get to remove the occasional snapped 6mm fastener cause the clicker in the wrench was so slight the wrench operator went to far.

the grease simply aides in removal next time.

send it to Joes.
                ha ha

bad as I detest the F350 I got pretty quick at powerhead installs and oil pan clean outs and shift shaft bushing replacements.

we wont discuss that mildy corroding trim unit.

but anything that requires removing 22 6mm fasteners just to get to the spark plugs while standing on a ladder is a pain.

I guess there is a torque for all 22 of them.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                  torque????
                  yall be killin me .

look folks it is a 6x1mm bolt.
                  use a 1/4 drive ratchet and one hand.
                  I grease everything(mostly) if used in salt water applications.

however I will admit I have only been working in the salt pond since about 1989.

before that it was 450 miles to the salt pond.
                  Another vote for grease.....

Comment

would I grease a headbolts or a flywheel nut?
                    not unless the SM specified it.
                    however on water pump blolts,lowerunit bolts T stat housing bolts and such what not non critical fastners that I may have to remove someday I use water proof grease or nickel based anti-sieze.
                    even though the SM does not say to.

some of the motors I work on today I installed back in the late 80's and early 90's.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                      would I grease a headbolts or a flywheel nut?
                      not unless the SM specified it.
                      however on water pump blolts,lowerunit bolts T stat housing bolts and such what not non critical fastners that I may have to remove someday I use water proof grease or nickel based anti-sieze.
                      even though the SM does not say to.

some of the motors I work on today I installed back in the late 80's and early 90's.
                      I'm betting the Master tech here in town does the same....

Comment

Dab of Tef jel works well for issues with dissimilar metals, excellent lubricant that lasts

Comment

Thanks for the replies men..duly noted. I was wondering about the access to the t stats themselves. I had done it on an F 250 and it was a bit of a PITA to get to..especially disconnecting the fuel line on one side. Anything like that here?

Comment

When the thermostat is out it would not be a bad idea to inspect the bore into which the thermostat resides as well.

Comment

Thanks Boscoe....much appreciated !!

Comment

Working...
                              X