Trials of an Amateur Mechanic w/o a Service Manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trials of an Amateur Mechanic w/o a Service Manual

I was skimming through the engine troubles section of a classic aquasport forum. Came across this buttercup of a post. The posting member couldn't figure out why the water pump impeller was stuck to the base plate. So he decided to "cut the side props to relieve the pressure."

But when that didn't work his next step was to torch the impeller to the point that it melts away from the shaft. Smartly, before torching, the member posted this picture and asked other members for suggestions of how to remove impeller.

Luckily another member chimed in to point out what should have been obvious, even to an amateur mechanic. But then again, this assumes the amateur mechanic is guided by the service manual. Oops.

Now I wanna know the result of his woodruff key removal. An epic debacle??

The above is just a friendly example to my fellow amateur marine mechanics reading this thread who do not own their engine models service manual. You are not trained in this skilled profession. Just because you've worked on your lawnmower engine successfully does not imply this expertise will translate to repairing your outboard engine.

Service manuals are necessary. Even the pro's use the service manual for an engine model they are unfamiliar with. The SM does not include every little detail. Those missing details are commonly found here, on this forum. If you don't have your SM why are you touching the engine? Hover over it, but tho shalt not touch.

Do you and your bank account a favor. Invest in a Yamaha model–specific service manual. You're welcome.
    Last edited by Jason2tpa; 02-25-2017, 11:44 PM.
    Jason
    1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

The freaking collar and sleeve are still on the shaft! I pry mine off with a screwdriver. Rodbolt chisels them off. Either way works. Perfect example of how valuable these forums can be...

Wonder the condition of the driveshaft seals with all the heat on the impeller area?
    Last edited by pstephens46; 01-08-2017, 09:49 PM.

Comment

The best benefit I got from our service manual was learning when to leave it to the Master Tech.

Comment

If you can't change a water pump....why have a service manual in the first place?

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
          Wonder the condition of the driveshaft seals with all the heat on the impeller area?
          I gander it did not get that far. The 1st response came about 30min after the thread was started. The responder correctly identified the issue and gave good suggestions of how to remove the collar.
          Jason

Comment

If you can't change a water pump....why have a service manual in the first place?
            Yeah but how do you know until you try for the first time (with SM)? I didn't know I could change out a water pump until I did, didn't know I could disassemble carbs for cleaning then reassemble until I did, etc. But my SM was next to me during these 1st time PM's. That's the no brainer key to the mechanical puzzle.

Respectfully, I'll rephrase your question so it's more accurate:
            If you can't change a water pump with assistance from you service manual....why have a service manual in the first place?

Good question pstephens. The answer is: You shouldn't.
            Jason

Comment

Originally posted by throrope View Post
              The best benefit I got from our service manual was learning when to leave it to the Master Tech.
              Bingo! Well said. Knowing your limitations will definitely keep you out of trouble.
              Jason

Comment

Dude..(Rodbolt intro)

yamaha service manuals suck, unfortunately.

You have to have a few grains of something before attempting a project on these things

Where do the grains come from? Dad? I don't know...

Comment

Dude..(Rodbolt intro)

yamaha service manuals suck, unfortunately.

You have to have a few grains of something before attempting a project on these things

Where do the grains come from? Dad? I don't know...
                  Can't debate with you there, yam's SM do suck. The question that can really boggle your mind is, does the person without the grains know they don't have the grains? Because if it takes grains to know if you have grains, then those without grains could conceptually believe in no limit to there abilities. Wrap your noodle around that doozie.
                  Jason

Comment

And that might explain the blowtorch.

Comment

Haha, indeed.
                      Jason

Comment

dude

I don't cut all the collars off.
                        I will make a college try at removing/reusing them.

however at 100 dollars an hour I am simply not going to spend much time on it.

but it is funny how many lowers and such I get after the guy with some tools gets done.

Comment

We don't need NO stinking manuals!!..

BFH and duct tape!

That impeller should fall off now as there isn't much left to it!!

Got to listen to my neighbor a couple canals over trying AGAIN to get a BADLY CLOGGED carbed engine running with MORE LEAN sneezes than not!! Still the same!!!
                          Scott
                          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                          X