Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fairdeal/99Yam/Scott/Chuck (but not rodbolt) what do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fairdeal/99Yam/Scott/Chuck (but not rodbolt) what do you think?

Think about an updated fuel supply system for Yamaha EFI models.

One transom mounted fuel delivery module for all models.
    No VST tank or inlet valve/float to deal with.
    No fuel cooler needed.
    No myriad number of fuel hoses on the motor.
    No check valves.
    No pressure relief valves.
    No emissions/vapor recovery control devices.
    Not much on the motor at all. Just two hoses, a pressure regulator, a lifetime filter and six injectors.
    Move a few components to the boat. Like the oil tank in the boat for a two stroke model. One wire from the motor to the fuel module.
    Cleaner and cooler gasoline. Easier to troubleshoot. Better power supply.
    Lighter, less complex motor. Cheaper to produce. Should lower the price.
    So simple. It will be huge! What is there not to like about it?
    Bring it on any nattering nabobs of negativity.

lots more fuel line and connections that can leak or go bad.
    some under good pressure that can be bad news.
    these outboards move around a lot more than on automotive uses.
    you just are moving the VST to the boat and not all motors would require the same pressure and volume.
    but that could be designed where they would have at least the same pressure and I guess volume could to you just recirculate more volume.
    ECU control both pumps with same relay?
    nothing to turn it off if a leak or something else happens except the key switch
    Last edited by 99yam40; 01-08-2017, 04:18 PM.

Comment

it has already been done.
      master craft has used a single line non return rail a long time.
      pump is in the tank.

however unlike an outboard it does not pivot L&R nor tilt up and down.

and how are you going to get the hull manufactures to make the fuel cell accessible?

like I said before, when that F250 was crated in japan no one knew it was going on a new grady at the grady plant.
      they did not know it was going to replace an old 250 EFI merc.
      they did not know it was replacing an E-TEC nor did they know it was going on some wanchese yahoo custom built boat.

how about folks just maintain their rigs?
      that would be the cheapest easiest solution.

Comment

You kind of still have the same amount of "stuff" but you moved some of it from the motor, into the boat (sort of) far better to have a full, self contained engine, rather than a make up of bits and pieces that will vary from boat to boat.

Comment

ohhh I can see a fuel service manual from grady,regulator and a few others.
          heck they can rarely tell you where they hid various pumps or what pumps were used.

Comment

Agree with 99Yam and others.

But what about regulating authorities and liability?
            I wonder what manufacturers would have to do to comply with the US Coast Guard "Boatbuilders Handbook"? Specifically:
            Subpart I - Electrical Systems
            Subpart J - Fuel Systems
            Subpart K - Ventilation

Now you have components of the outboard in the boat. So is the boat engine considered outboard or not?

US Coast Guard makes the manufacturer responsible for making sure their product complies, would the manufacturers take on this responsibility? How can they ensure riggers/boat manufacturers install properly to comply?

Would that Header (Tank) now be considered a fuel tank? Could the tank be mounted above/below deck? Could the high pressure fuel lines be above/below deck? If below deck (or even in an enclosed compartment), do you need a fuel leak detection/shut off safety system? Do you need a bilge blower? Do the electrical lines need to be isolated from fuel lines?

Quite a few hurdles to jump!

[IMG]the-devils-advocate-508d6dec74a73 by Charles Postis, on Flickr[/IMG]
            Chuck,
            1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

With all the things they can do today, I would prefer to keep it in one package BUT SIMPLIFY things.

IE, the new 300HP has ONE throttle body. Nothing to sync, should take less than room than multiple TB's, should be more room for the VST and EASIER ACCESS & maintenance.

Put in a 5 micron or less fuel filter initially (first filter @ ft of engine) to help keep tank crap out.

Put another, EASILY ACCESSIBLE 5 micron filter (or what ever size BEFORE the fuel rail (to keep injectors clean from HP pump debris), etc getting to the injectors.

My neighbors old Suzuki FI'ed, 140, 2 stroke has One throttle body, no air silencer. The VST is the MOST VISIBLE and easily accessible part on the engine.

Fuel systems, IME and reading here are the most troublesome part / needs attention, of an outboard. For me (and us who try to do their own work) I don't need all the fancy crap. Heck hydralic lifters wouldn't hurt my feelings, no valves to check adjust?? KISS...

How many folks would care? Probably not many after dropping 15-40K on an engine, their bringing it to the shop anyway.

HOWEVER, maintenance would be easier, faster and cheaper. Something
              E-Tec promotes, 3 years, NO service??? Sounds GOOD TO ME... But with Yamaha dependability.

I drive a 2001 4 runner (super low miles-cherry), which has GLASS headlights, chrome STEEL bumpers, rear wheel drive... No plastic headlights to fade, I can bump something and not need a whole new front end, heck, I can pull the engine in my garage without PULLING the entire engine transmission, front end as ONE UNIT,etc. I can even see my spark plugs AND water pump. Try finding a water pump on a new car much less replacing it...
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Modern Autos. Gotta love them. 3 hours to replace 6 spark plugs yesterday. 2012 Nissan Xterra. Probably saved 300 bucks at the shop and it runs so much better. Outboards are fun to work on due to the accessibility. Please don't change this aspect!

Comment

Dang, I sure do like my TLR 2-stroke.

Comment

Originally posted by throrope View Post
                    Dang, I sure do like my TLR 2-stroke.
                    I would have bought a Yammy 2 stroke in 2007 when I re-powered but the salesman pushed the 4 stroke really hard...

I didn't think they even made the 2 stroke 150 back then (not at all familiar with Yamaha OB's back then).
                    Scott

Comment

back in 07 you could have bought a 2 choker.
                      but why?

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                        back in 07 you could have bought a 2 choker.
                        but why?
                        Yep, they were available back then, (just literally looked it up)

Just prefer two strokes... Less parts, cams, belts, valves, etc...

I also prefer the performance of a two stroke, slightly less weight as well..

Yes, the mileage is no where near the 4 stroke, but that's fine...
                        Scott

Comment

Working...
                        X