40 hp fourstroke problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40 hp fourstroke problem

I have a 2012 40 hp four stroke. I was running it in heavy vegetation and it got clogged and quit "peeing". Shut it off when the alarm toned, re cranked and moved on until it toned again. After doing this a couple more times it woudnt crank. Have I fried it or is there a high heat safety switch possibly? Thanks in advance for any help.

Can you hear the starter motor relay click and does the starter motor even try to turn the flywheel? That is, is it trying to crank or is nothing at all happening when you turn the key to the start position?

Best case is maybe a blown fuse. Worst case could be that the motor is seized.

The alarm could have been for over temperature or it could have been low oil pressure. If the motor quit peeing then more than likely it is over temperature. Do you have the type of tachometer that tells you what the alarm is for?

You now know better than anyone to stop the motor if and when the alarm sounds. Find out and fix the problem. To not do so is at ones own peril. Maybe a following reader will read this thread and learn from your problem.

Comment

Yes, it turns over with no issue

Just won't crank. And yeah, I learned my lesson for sure, chasing ducks makes people do careless things, ha! I'm hoping it just isn't firing. And it does have gas in the tank.

Comment

What does crank mean? Does the engine turn when you turn the key?

Comment

It will turn over

But won't fire and run.

Comment

check the easy things such as spark, compression,timing, spray some fuel into the carbs throats to see if it will at least fire a few clinders

Comment

Originally posted by Arobinson View Post
              Yes, it turns over with no issue.

Just won't crank.

Comment

I feel the same way.

Sigh.

As the man said, "what we have here is a failure to communicate".

Now I know how my teachers felt when I was back is school.

Comment

So what was I supposed to say?

Yes the flywheel spins, it won't go vroom? I came here for advice, not smartass responses and gifs.

Comment

And thank you to the

Ones that actually tried to help.

Comment

Yes the flywheel spins, it won't go vroom? I came here for advice, not smartass responses and gifs.
                      We are hear to offer advice. In a roundabout way we were trying to educate you as to motor terms. You sent us on a wild goose chase. The goose got away.

Crank = To rotate the crank shaft either by a pull start cord or by an electric starter motor. No crankee motor no turnee.

Start = After being cranked the motor might start to run. It may start and die or it may start and continue to run

Run = After being first cranked and next started, the motor will run. Could be poorly or could be just fine but it runs.

No crank. Cranks, starts and dies. Cranks, starts and runs.

Comment

the procedure is like this.
                        suck
                        squeeze.
                        bang.
                        blow.
                        from behind a monitor I cannot tell you which one you lost.

does the fuel pump run at key on?

what is fuel rail pressure?
                        do you have spark?
                        do you have compression?

we cannot tell you,you have to tell us.

Comment

Fairdeal may need to post the "report" again.

Comment

People today just don't seem to accept corrections. Why is that?

Comment

We are in the times that now include microaggressions.
                              Or is it micro aggression?

Is there a mini aggression?
                              Last edited by pstephens46; 01-07-2017, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X