No announcement yet.

2006 HPDI 250 #1 cylinder problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

are we talking reed valves or check valves?
    the engine has 6 reed boxes and 12 reed assy's.

check valves are tiny and pressed in from the outside.

Comment

I read his post as 9 check valves

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
        wasted money on the reeds.
        at low speeds or static they may stay open slightly.
        and the reeds have noting to do with fuel delivery.
        all the reeds do is seal off the crankcase for primary compression.

your money though.
        for my money I would have bought a Kv tester instead.
        I am only changing a couple reeds as they were out of spec loose. although not the #1 clyinder i am trying to fix the dry black carbon plug issue

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
        If all 9 are the same part # then yes you have some bad ones.
        If that many are bad, might want to change them all.
        Just my opinion, maybe lean sneeze took some out, who knows if the others are damaged or fixing to go bad too.

9 of them are the same part number, good point change them out while im in there. How did you get your old ones out, and did new ones press tight or did you use some kind of sealant ?

just make sure they are listed as the same part #.
        My little C40 had 2 different part #s . Only some had the check valves in them
        9 Are the same, top 2 are different because they only have one hose inlet, 2nd down on right is different number because its shorter to make room for the oil hose going to the oil nozzle.

are we talking reed valves or check valves?
        the engine has 6 reed boxes and 12 reed assy's.

check valves are tiny and pressed in from the outside.
        We are talking Recirculating or scavenger check valves. On #1 both sides work fine, every other cylinder at least one side the check valve is bad. Strange both are good on the top cylinder or #1 since that is the hole the plug keeps getting the dry black carbon on. Could the computer be changing the fuel air mixture by getting a incorrect reading as all those valves are leaking back except #1 valves. Since these openings are inside the reed cages ?

I read his post as 9 check valves
        The top 2 are different part numbers since they only have 1 inlet
        2nd down on right is a different part number because the length is different as to leave room for the oil nozzle right next to it. All the rest are the same part number and 5 of the 9, the check valve is defective. Not sure how important these valves are ?

Comment

I would look at as one of the six cylinders spark plugs color is different and that one cylinder happens to be the cylinder that has all good check valves.
          maybe the 5 bad valves are causing the other 5 cylinders to be different.

the 5 are bad, change them to see if that makes a difference to the plugs after running. But may take untill new season to find out

Comment

the computer cannot will not and wont do anything about air.
            at key on the map sensor locks in barometric pressure.
            that is all the air information the ECU ever gets.
            the ECU cannot and does not measure any mechanical functions other than TPS.
            that is about the only movable mechanical device the ECU looks at.
            that little YDS section about the firing of cyl 1-6???

has NOTHING to do with is that cyl actually firing.
            it is generated based on shift cut and shift position signals and RPM.

remember that ECU is simply a truth table.
            it is actually rather stupid.
            it takes XYZ inputs for ABC outputs.

Comment

I would look at as one of the six cylinders spark plugs color is different and that one cylinder happens to be the cylinder that has all good check valves.
              maybe the 5 bad valves are causing the other 5 cylinders to be different.

the 5 are bad, change them to see if that makes a difference to the plugs after running. But may take untill new season to find out
              Yep, seems kinda odd. im going to change them, for good or bad. Again how did you get yours out ?

the computer cannot will not and wont do anything about air.
              at key on the map sensor locks in barometric pressure.
              that is all the air information the ECU ever gets.
              the ECU cannot and does not measure any mechanical functions other than TPS.
              that is about the only movable mechanical device the ECU looks at.
              that little YDS section about the firing of cyl 1-6???

has NOTHING to do with is that cyl actually firing.
              it is generated based on shift cut and shift position signals and RPM.

remember that ECU is simply a truth table.
              it is actually rather stupid.
              it takes XYZ inputs for ABC outputs.
              Thanks, that makes this HPDI a little easier to understand. On an earlier post you said only thing that can make a plug black and sooty (rich mix) would be an injector or injector spray or bad recirculating check valve. Are these check valves I am referring to the ones you are talking about ? If so would the bad check valve have to be on the cylinder in question ?

Comment

Originally posted by jdavis1705 View Post
                Yep, seems kinda odd. im going to change them, for good or bad. Again how did you get yours out ?
                grab with vicegrips ,twist a little, and pull

Comment

grab with vicegrips ,twist a little, and pull
                  Thanks, Vice-grips worked fine. Did the new ones just drive in or do you use any sealant ?

Comment

I typically wipe them with Loctite 518 but you can do it dry.

Comment

Fixed !!!

Just an update for anyone interested. New Reeds, A few new check valves and a Fuel injector service fixed my dry black carbon on the number 1 cylinder plug problem. Fuel injector company didn't see any signs the #1 injector was my problem. The check valves that I replaced were on other cylinders, not #1. A couple other people have said reeds fixed the problem for them, although I couldn't see any problems when I took the reed plate apart. Im leaning towards reeds as the culprit. Thanks for all advice.

Comment

good to hear it is running well
                        Thanks for dropping back in to say what all was done and it is fixed

Comment

Working...
                        X