No announcement yet.

Yamaha HPDI only firing 3 injectors???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha HPDI only firing 3 injectors???

2000, HPDI, 200HP, 535 Hours. Just completed a rebuild due to low compression on cylinder #5 due to a head gasket failure. Had block bored and honed. Used complete genuine Yamaha gasket kit, etc. Compression is 120 on all cylinders now. ALL fuel filters are new. High pressure pump was sent out last year for service.

Symptoms: rough idle, slow throttle response, misfire/backfire, puff of blue smoke emits from exhaust in sync with misfire. I did not have these symptoms prior to the rebuild. Engine is being run in a test tank in gear using the harness, oil tank, ignition switch, gauges etc. from my boat.

Confirmed running spark on all 6 cylinders. When I pulled the injector connectors on cylinders 1,2 & 3, there is no change in the poor running condition. When I pulled 4,5 & 6, the engine stalled. When I pulled the spark plug boots I had the same results on the same cylinders. No codes on Yamaha Diagnostic software until I disconnected the injectors. Also, the injectors passed the stationary test using the YDS. I pulled the injectors anyway and sent a dose of Seafoam thru them in both directions even though they were sent out for service a year ago. Reinstalled, same results.

Update 12/24 :Forgot to add this - Had white smoke shortly after first startup. Found the upper LPFP was leaking (only had approx. 20 hours on it prior to rebuild). Replaced it with a new one.

Update 12/28: Confirmed: spark plug boots, coils, pulser coil, o2 sensor, injectors, tps (set to 61) all ohm to spec. Swapped injector 2 with 5. Same result running result. Now injector 2 is working in cylinder 5 and injector 5 is not working in cylinder 2. Still no change in running condition when I unplug injectors 1,2 or 3. No corrosion on any connection or grounds. Injector Driver???

Update 12/29: Removed injector driver, opened up just to take a look. Looks like new inside. No idea how to check it. Holy s*** they are expensive. Trying to borrow one to see if it's the issue. Any input would be GREATLY appreciated.

when hooked up to YDS what does the shift position switch indicate?
    about the only way I know to test injector voltage is with a DVA adapter or a meter that can read peak voltage.
    peak voltage IS NOT true or RMS.
    should see about 90v peak for about 2.5ms at idle.

Comment

Hey Rodbot17.
      The shift positon switch would toggle on and off when I triggered it with a screwdriver. I was hoping that was the issue. I also bypassed it momentarily just to make sure. Had the same running results. I will have to explore the injector voltage. That's going to take some research on my part. No idea what a DVA adapter is but I think my Fluke Meter will record peak voltage. Waiting on a injector driver and computer my buddy is sending up from FL. Either its going to work or not. If not, back to troubleshooting. In the meantime I will attempt to get the injector voltage readings. Your response is greatly appreciated!

Comment

most meters only have rms. that is about 70% of peak.
        if yours as a frequency setting you can observe the firing frequency.

Comment

DVA= Direct Voltage Adapter.

believe me your peak setting on your Fluke will not read it properly/
          do a google search on DVA adapter and read up if you would like to make one or buy one

Comment

Gents,
            I made this earlier today. The idea was to place this in-line between the injector and the injector connector so I can read the voltage off the pigtails. My meter will record the min and max voltage. I removed the male and female connectors from an old Yamaha harness so they fit great. Going to try it in the AM. Going to search DVA adapter now. Thanks for the responses!

12/31 - Adapter I made didn't work. Should have driver and computer on the 1/4. Stay tuned. Going to look for a DVA adapter. I watched videos on building one and understood none of it. LOL. HAPPY NEW YEAR!

1/5 - Swapped out the driver and then the ecm. No Change! Pulled the STBD fuel rail with the injectors attached, cranked the motor and all the injectors had a great atomized spray pattern. So much for the possible injector issue. I have fuel, compression and spark. Engine still runs the same. No codes. WTF!!!

STARTED NEW THREAD "STUMPED RUNNING ON 3 CYLINDERS"
            Attached Files
            Last edited by dawgslife5436; 01-05-2017, 10:37 PM. Reason: STARTED NEW THREAD

Comment

Working...
            X