Dangerous world out there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dangerous world out there

The thread and newspaper article about the tunnel hull boat being unsuitable for use got me to thinking. Dangerous I know. I was then perusing some flight manual data regarding some ultralight airplanes and found the information below. Does this type of literature need to be provided for certain boats and motors?

Anyway, there was an airplane crash and the US government cited the pilot for flying the airplane over a town with no safe place to land. I doubt the pilot can successfully sue the engine maker but he will probably try.

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
    Does this type of literature need to be provided for certain boats and motors?
    In the Yamaha OM for years:

What more needs to be said?

wouldn't matter how many more words & warnings there were.

"You can't fix stupid"

Comment

the warning on the boats should be,
      keep the heavy people in the back of boat and run only at speeds you would like to be thrown out of boat at.

How many times have we seen a boat plowing thru the water with very heavy load of people sitting tn the very front of boat instead of back where they should be

maybe put a kill switch in that can/will see these drastic changes in direction and kill the motor.
      at least the props will not be turning as fast when it hits someone.

after reading that other thread info, if I owned one of these boats I would put hand holds and/or seat belts in.

I have heard of people being lost off boats and ice chests and no one see them go.
      must be a strange feeling to notice someone is not in the boat anymore and have to back track to find them
      Last edited by 99yam40; 12-22-2016, 11:54 AM.

Comment

My hot iron used to iron clothes crapped out so i bought a new one. Scanning the directions, in big bold letters it stated:

DO NOT TOUCH HEATING ELEMENT OF IRON WHEN TURNED ON...

It's a strange truth that manufacturers must advise operators of the obvious.
        Jason
        1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

same as my wifes hair dryer.
          says do not use in the shower.

someone somewhere must have won a Darwin award.

Comment

All the warnings aside, the TX flats boat in the other post is still a retarded looking hull.
            Funny how people in different parts of the country approach issues in various ways. Inshore fishing in NC requires the same shallow running style. Hence, the Carolina skiff. Rarely will you see one running over 40mph. Basically a shoebox with engine. Very practical, stable fishing platforms.

Comment

never paid much attention to the bottom of a Carolina Skiff except that it is a glass flat bottom boat.
              I would think it was ruff in chop like all flat bottom boats, but heavier than an aluminum so that helps.

most flat bottom boats will slide in sharp turns,
              I do not know what CS has on the bottom to help grip the water in a turn

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                never paid much attention to the bottom of a Carolina Skiff except that it is a glass flat bottom boat.
                I would think it was ruff in chop like all flat bottom boats, but heavier than an aluminum so that helps.

most flat bottom boats will slide in sharp turns,
                I do not know what CS has on the bottom to help grip the water in a turn
                I am pretty sure the Carolina skiffs have strikes/chines on the bottom of hull.

That TX flats boats seems to have too much going on. Such as "I want to be as high as possible when driving to be able to sight fish. I also want to be able to float in 5" of water. Oh also, I need to be able to run 60+mph."

Comment

any of you rode in an air boat before?
                  flat bottom and heavy in the rear, they slide a lot.
                  Without the fan pushing thru the rudders/air direction vanes there is no telling which way you will be pointing.

A lot of them have seat belts I believe or at least good places to grab the seat you are sitting on

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                    That TX flats boats seems to have too much going on. Such as "I want to be as high as possible when driving to be able to sight fish. I also want to be able to float in 5" of water. Oh also, I need to be able to run 60+mph."
                    And you just nailed the motive behind these tunnel hull manufacturers. If there is a public demand, and money to be made, it will be produced. So long as the hull meets the USCG regulations, the manufacturer basically removes itself from negligence if the operator experienced an accident.

In reference to the TX tunnel article, I find it hard to believe that the hull just spontaneously spun out of control without some cause. This is because we know what the effect was...loss of control. But what caused the effect? A flaw in hull design? Or a combination of choppy water, high speed, and the jack plated engine set too high.

I went backwater fishing with a buddy of mine years ago. My first time on his boat, a carolina skiff with 90hp on a jack plate. Maneuvering up a winding river, we would slide into each turn, but a con*****ed slide so we were prepared. This was my first experience being in a boat that slides in such a way. Had I not had confidence in the capt I would have soiled myself. It was during that trip I learned all the variables involved at traveling at high speeds, jacked up, and turning to induce a con*****ed slide. No doubt that if you don't know what you're doing in boats like these, you're in for a surprise...and probably not a fun one.
                    Jason
                    1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

back in the late eighties early 90's the CS did not have chines and would slide then flip.
                      not the first one I ever stood on its side.
                      I personally have never left the hull, my boss has.

goes back to the old saying.
                      just because you can finance it does not mean you can operate it.

Comment

sliding towards a bank running a narrow waterway, another boat, or other hard object was always my worry, never though of flipping over

Comment

I did bounce one off the bank running out ginguite creek in kitty hawk.
                          I stood a few on the gunnels.

Comment

Working...
                          X