Is it the boat or is it the driver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
    I have not looked it up in years but last I looked the HP rating was set at the speed that a 180* turn of the helm would not eject the operator.\
    had noting to do with any other hull stability factors or hull strength.\
    but that big yellow ta that has been a requirement on retail sale hulls states the manufacture certifies that the hull is in compliance with all USCG and ABYC rules in effect on the date of manufacture.
    go read it.
    I've read through the USCG title code out of pure curiosity of how the manufacturer determines max hp. I didn't read anything about the hull having to pass a water test, such as you described in bold. The max rated hp is solely determined for hulls less than 20ft in length by the calculation:

Hull Length(ft) X Hull Beam (ft) = Factor

(Factor X 2) – 90 = max hp

Now this doesn't mean the manufacturer doesn't independently conduct water tests in order to compile safety records for the possibility of a future lawsuit. But I don't believe testing on the water is required by the USCG to meet their regulations.
    Jason
    1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

I read about this on another forum. I believe it's a combination of the engine running high and not much boat in the water. If you're not careful with the wheel you can swap ends.

Comment

Working...
      X