Squeeky Trim Cylinders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squeeky Trim Cylinders

The trim cylinders will squeek as they go down. Started making this sound past 2 trips. Hydro reservoir is full. Must be friction causing this sound, right? Remedy by spraying tubes with a lube? If so, recommendations? Thks.
    Jason
    1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

sure its not the tips of the rams?

Comment

A dab of grease on tips of Rams may help....

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
        sure its not the tips of the rams?
        Dunno. Once the engine is lowered onto the extended cylinders, about half way down is when it squeals. It's not consistently doing this, but i'm assuming it shouldn't be.
        Jason

Comment

Dab of grease as previously suggested then cycle it up/down a couple of times.

Comment

I had the exact same issue. Put a very light coat of Yamahas waterproof grease on the entire rams, squeak gone. Been about 2 years.

I'm still on the original seals, no leakage, no ill effects so far and nice and quiet..

The waterproof grease (what you use for splines, mid-section bushing, etc), will last way longer than a spray..

**Rodbolt posted to NEVER grease those shafts(just the tips) and replace all the Trim seals.

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 12-19-2016, 11:13 PM.
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Ok gotcha. Thks all
              Jason

Comment

I was surprised that Google didn't find any photos of these "contact areas" -

AFAIK not a replacement part, just "comes along with" the entire swivel bracket

You can see how mine has been galled by the tip of the trim ram

I vividly remember the first time I ever heard the sound it can make (actually was Honda outboard)

thought the tilt mechanism was tearing itself apart.

Just needs a tiny dot of grease.

Comment

I have removed my contact pads with that nut and polished surfaces on a cotton wheel and compound so Rams with grease have a mirror surface to operate against....no squeaks!

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post
                    I was surprised that Google didn't find any photos of these "contact areas" -

AFAIK not a replacement part, just "comes along with" the entire swivel bracket

You can see how mine has been galled by the tip of the trim ram

I vividly remember the first time I ever heard the sound it can make (actually was Honda outboard)

thought the tilt mechanism was tearing itself apart.

Just needs a tiny dot of grease.
                    That's fascinating. I didn't think to look at the ram contact points, or even consider that this is where the sound was coming from. Totally makes sense. Thks bud!
                    Jason

Comment

So what worked for ya, just the pad grease or ?
                      Scott
                      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                      X