Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WTB 703 (this is the parts forum-right?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTB 703 (this is the parts forum-right?)

A Just got an OX66 225 '99- I need a set of some kind of controls to get started on this engine- old functional 703 with harness/key looks like it would do the trick.
    Anybody offering one? or is there a place- site- forum I should go look?
    Thanks Gents- and Merry Christmas-

703-48207-17-10 Yamaha 703 Premium Side Control Push Keychoke

Comment

Make it go round and round

I am hoping to find something just to use to get it spinning and started-
      I have a little cut off pig tail harness with key switch I use on mercs -
      thinking for learning phase here that type thing would be appropriate.
      Anybody got a cut up old harness I can stick a key switch on to do some messing around ?

Comment

At the engine ten pin harness connector jumper the red wire terminal to the yellow wire terminal.

Then activate the starter motor by jumpering 12 volt power to the starter motor solenoid or at the ten pin harness connector jumper the red wire terminal to the brown wire terminal.

This will get the motor started and hopefully running.

Before applying electrical power to the motor make sure that the vapor separator tank is full of gasoline. Pump the primer ball until it is firm.

Comment

Also plan a way to turn it off before starting it

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
            Also plan a way to turn it off before starting it
            One of those pins is probably a "kill" wire- I would expect grounding it would shut it down-
            I am trying get a wiring diagram... got one off the Iboat library but so far too small to read
            and Thanks Gents

Comment

Originally posted by nickdavies View Post
              One of those pins is probably a "kill" wire- I would expect grounding it would shut it down-
              I am trying get a wiring diagram... got one off the Iboat library but so far too small to read
              and Thanks Gents
              Here's a 10 pin color code diagram.

White wire is "Kill".

[IMG]electrical-pins by Charles Postis, on Flickr[/IMG]
              Chuck,
              1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

Seems like I remember that some of these Yamaha motors needed to seethe loss of 12 volt + and the kill to go thru the proper shut down sequince, but have no idea what your motor needs to shut down properly.

maybe Rodbolt or Boscoe can give better info on that

Comment

Most helpful- couple more question please
                  Where does incoming positive battery lead land? Starter solinoid? I can not find any other possible place.

The big black fuse block with the large pull out fuses that look like the could be in my house circuit breaker panel- one side is red with white stripe(inner) and other side is solid red- (outer) On the solid red wires - there are 2 red leads coming out of it on the outer position that are spliced together (looks factory) into one solid red lead- this was taped off(not factory) what is this lead and where does it go/do?

Again Thanks Guys

Comment

Most helpful- couple more question please
                    Where does incoming positive battery lead land? Starter solinoid? I can not find any other possible place.

The big black fuse block with the large pull out fuses that look like the could be in my house circuit breaker panel- one side is red with white stripe(inner) and other side is solid red- (outer) On the solid red wires - there are 2 red leads coming out of it on the outer position that are spliced together (looks factory) into one solid red lead- this was taped off(not factory) what is this lead and where does it go/do?

Again Thanks Guys
                    From your battery the positive lead goes to a "block" mounted near the top of your starter. The negative lead goes to your starter casing.
                    Here's a pic:

[IMG]15420955_731000977056962_7589362442738114195_n by Charles Postis, on Flickr[/IMG]

Not sure of the red other lead, might be the auxiliary for charging a secondary battery?
                    Chuck,

Comment

Picture worth a 1000 words-

Comment

In searching... I saw a couple of indications there might be a mercury to yamaha harness adapter- 10 pin to 10 pin- I never did actually find one ... ??

Comment

This engine does not have that block for positive incoming lead-
                          I got hold of a factory manual- IMO the translation to English did not go very well.
                          I think there are 2 incoming positive battery leads-(this is shown several place in manual) one appears to go the starter solenoid and the second smaller positive splits into 2 that both go into fuse block.
                          The smaller lead is the one I was asking about previously.
                          Can anybody confirm this? Thank gents

Comment

I got hold of a factory manual- IMO the translation to English did not go very well.
                            I think there are 2 incoming positive battery leads-(this is shown several place in manual) one appears to go the starter solenoid and the second smaller positive splits into 2 that both go into fuse block.
                            I apologize for giving you improper information, apparently that block (terminal) is only used on 1999-2005 OX66 engines from 150-200HP, not 225HP.
                            Chuck,

Comment

The wiring diagram in the SM shows the ground battery cable going directly to the starter motor and the positive battery cable going to the starter relay. There is a wire lead from the starter relay to the starter motor.

What SM do you have?

Comment

Working...
                              X