Marinetex repair lie expectency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marinetex repair lie expectency

I have repaired my block where it faces the cylinder head with marinetex.
    I removed the corrosion and pitting with a 5/32 end mill and cleaned with acetone, then filled with fiberglass and marinetex. Can anyone give me a guess as to how long I can expect this repair to hold ?

I've used other high temperature epoxies on blocks before without ever having a problem. However, Marine-tex is rated only for 250 degrees F. If not near the combustion chamber, may be ok. Otherwise, I would be concrened.
    Good luck!
    Chuck,
    1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

Plus 1 ^^.

Where is the fix applied? By a water jacket?
      If it's near the combustion chamber, NOT LONG.

Can you post some information re the engine, 2, 4 stroke, model, etc?

Can you post a picture?

**Something to consider if the engine is still apart.
      Bring the block to a prop shop, clean all that "fix" out and have them
      weld and fill in where the corrosion was. That would be the most permanent fix.

I mention a prop shop (you can use a reg aluminum welder), but the prop guys
      weld up very thin aluminum prop leading edges doing a refurb.
      Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 12-14-2016, 08:44 AM.
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Its a 2005 2 Stroke VMAX TLRD,. I can't figure out how to post a picture of it. Anyway it's on the lower thermostat feed slot coming from the block and is about 5/16" from the cylinder wall. And yes I put it back together, I'll advised. I just need 200 hours out of it because I want to replace my heads because they are pitted also from the well water. Motor has 800 hours.
        Gotta go to work now. Talk to you guys later this evening.

Thanks Chuck and Scott.
        Joe

Comment

Sounds like it's far enough away from temps above 250 with the water jackets/water flow. I would think you'd be fine....

And your not the first to have major corrosion around the thermostat / block.

Good luck Joe...
          Scott

Comment

Originally posted by jcclub47 View Post
            Its a 2005 2 Stroke VMAX TLRD,. I can't figure out how to post a picture of it. Anyway it's on the lower thermostat feed slot coming from the block and is about 5/16" from the cylinder wall. And yes I put it back together, I'll advised. I just need 200 hours out of it because I want to replace my heads because they are pitted also from the well water. Motor has 800 hours.
            Gotta go to work now. Talk to you guys later this evening.

Thanks Chuck and Scott.
            Joe
            I am confused as to why your well water is corroding your heads.

And in 200 hours what are you going to do?
            replace the motor?
            or just the heads?
            I do not see how replacing the heads will affect the corrosion hole in the block

Comment

I figure I can safely get 200 hours out of the heads before they cause serious damage to my motor, blow motor. The block is intact.

Thanks
              Joe

Comment

Our well water in Cape Coral has sulfuric acid and calcium and smells like onions. It's very corrosive to aluminium.

Comment

Our well water in Cape Coral has sulfuric acid and calcium and smells like onions. It's very corrosive to aluminium.
                  I'm in the SW Cape, on a finger canal (Skyline and CC Parkway) you must be north a bit. We've had dual water down here since about 1987, which is what I use on the boat.

Are you using the water after it goes thru your water system for flushing?

That should help a bunch...
                  Scott

Comment

I'm between the Burnt Stores on the Rosemary Canal by the North spreader. My kid broke my hose bib on my dock which has house water and been flushing directly from the well, but after your comment I am going to fix the dock bib. Thanks for the tip !!!!

Comment

I figure I can safely get 200 hours out of the heads before they cause serious damage to my motor, blow motor. The block is intact.

Thanks
                      Joe
                      I thought the hole you patched was in the block not the heads?

What kind of water system takes care of sulfuric acid?

Comment

That's correct, the heads are pitted and corroded and wiil need to be replaced in a couple hundred hours.

Comment

So, is the hole you just patched in the block or a head?

Comment

Correct the hole I patched is in the block facing the thermostat housing. Sorry for the confusion.

Comment

Kind of sounds like the patch needs to last longer than the 200 hours you posted then.

Maybe you will have the hole welded up when you take apart and replace the heads
                              Last edited by 99yam40; 12-15-2016, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X