VST screws insanely tight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
    Supported better than wife holding between knees...
    Great JOB and rig set up!!

Three hard whacks?!! No way a JIS screwdriver would have broke those loose even if you had one...

W/O that set up and impact tool, you'd never have gotten that off...

As a side note, myself, parents and brother in law have the same 10 HP B&S generator. The two phillips / JIS screws were a B....h to remove on my BIL's clogged carb, float bowl (no stabilizer and the main jet clogged up).

Easily took me twice as long to remove one screw then to clean the one jet (and that was with a vise grip to the head of the screw)....

After I got that running, went to the hardware store, got 6 SS, ALLAN bolts, same thread/length. Applied anti-seize and swapped them all out. No more future issues even if the carb clogs up.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I did not find any of the powdery aluminum corrosion residue on the screws. They were very clean and very tight.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
        I did not find any of the powdery aluminum corrosion residue on the screws. They were very clean and very tight.
        Yup, mine were clean as a whistle and each came out with a definite "pop" when using that tight fitting JIS screwdriver. Backing the screws out after that was like using the balanced volume knob on my old Pioneer amplifuer from the 70,s. I did not have to bang anything.
        Chuck,
        1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

Originally posted by cpostis View Post
          Yup, mine were clean as a whistle and each came out with a definite "pop" when using that tight fitting JIS screwdriver. Backing the screws out after that was like using the balanced volume knob on my old Pioneer amplifuer from the 70,s. I did not have to bang anything.
          I wouldn't mind having a set (craftsman or better) just for those cases, no Chinese knock off's.

If it saves hammering, obviously a better option.

Actually, simply "bits" may be better. You can always plug em into a socket AND use them in the impact tool...

Off to the net for another search!

Shessh!! Four bits- http://www.ebay.com/itm/371797006849
          Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 12-12-2016, 09:49 AM.
          Scott

Comment

Did you notice 3 of them are labeled PH( Phillips Head)
            Also the shipping if stupid

I think grinding a little off the tip of the bits we have should work just fine

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
              I wouldn't mind having a set (craftsman or better) just for those cases, no Chinese knock off's.

If it saves hammering, obviously a better option.

Actually, simply "bits" may be better. You can always plug em into a socket AND use them in the impact tool...

Off to the net for another search!

Shessh!! Four bits- Vessel B33+4 Screwdriver Bit Set Phillips 1/4" JIS/ISO 4-Piece | eBay
              Here ya go Scott!

MossMiata.com - Parts & Accessories for Your Mazda Miata

If you want to go combo/impact, here's another link:

https://www.amazon.com/Vessel-Megado.../dp/B003BGZ9CO
              Chuck,
              1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

Originally posted by cpostis View Post
                99Yam, yep, it states basically for both, NOT specifically JIS...

Chuck, the first Mazda link has the bits (two different SETs) for ALL size JIS bits. That looks like a good deal there....

I'll be ordering those when my Pay Pal gets an order in (not quite enough $ in there-as the Ultra-Sonic cleaner arrived Saturday!!) (Haven't used the cleaner yet, been busy with other projects)

Thanks for that link, I'll save that and order eventually, cheap enough. I know I could have used one on those B&S generator carbs...

**That'd be the best of both worlds, JIS bit with the hand impact tool...(Especially on a critical part)
                Scott

Comment

Working...
                X