Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
    How about a large adjustable wrench?

Now if I could get these GD new lawnmower tires back on the rims I would be thrilled.
    Inflatable tires? Lots of soapy water and some tire irons..

https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08...ycle+tire+iron

Getting them warmed up in the sun or in the warm house helps too...

Re the drive shaft, your probably working at a work bench with a vise..

Clamp (with aluminum in the actual clamps)the drive shaft so the LU is hanging downward.

Either a BOX wrench tapped down on the collar or as previously noted, a flat piece of thick aluminum or steel drilled out and then tapped downward I'd think would work...
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by Jason2tpa View Post
      Referring to the picture, "while pulling the drive shaft up, install the collar with an appropriate tool. Kinda funny bc it doesn't tell you what the tool is used, just one that's appropriate.
      I am sure the manual has info on the tool used, that info just was not put in with his post.
      May not have been a pic, but probably has a number

Comment

Unfortunately for me the lass next door has an ass the size of a VW.

I bought a huge adjustable to remove the steering wheel nut. Perfect job for a harbor freight tool....

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
          I am sure the manual has info on the tool used, that info just was not put in with his post.
          May not have been a pic, but probably has a number
          Haha, you're joking right? Take a look at these attachments detailing tools required to service engine (found in my SM). The 4th page details assembly...what you see is all you get. If you see a tool that is specifically used to mount drive shaft collar please let me know.
          Last edited by Jason2tpa; 01-08-2017, 08:52 PM.
          Jason
          1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

there is no tool from Yamaha.
            kinda like Volvo and the rawhide mallet.
            this stuff aint hard.
            get an openend wrench slightly larger than the shaft.
            pull up on the shaft.
            whack the coller down.
            yep it is that simple.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
              there is no tool from Yamaha.
              kinda like Volvo and the rawhide mallet.
              this stuff aint hard.
              get an openend wrench slightly larger than the shaft.
              pull up on the shaft.
              whack the coller down.
              yep it is that simple.
              If there was a tool, would you pay $50 for it?

Yamaha Collar Whacker Downer?

Comment

If there was a tool, would you pay $50 for it?

Yamaha Collar Whacker Downer?
                If it says Yamaha on it and used for MARINE use, DOUBLE the price, $99.99 (BFH NOT included)
                Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Jason2tpa View Post
                  Haha, you're joking right? Take a look at these attachments detailing tools required to service engine (found in my SM). The 4th page details assembly...what you see is all you get. If you see a tool that is specifically used to mount drive shaft collar please let me know.
                  I would have thought since they showed the tool with the label of the letter a it would have had a tool number listed on that same page, but apparently from what you say it did not.

anybody with a good imagination could come up with a special tool just for that.
                  Good to know friends that have metal working tools, or even something to turn some hard plastic maybe. I like the slide hammer thing talked about that slides over the shaft

Comment

I use the brass insert from a replacable prop hub kit.
                    or a suitable open end wrench.

it aint hard.

all that collar assy does is remove the lash from the shaft thrust bearing.

if you leave it out it may make a knocking noise at an in gear idle.

wont hurt anything, just annoying.

Comment

Now if I could get these GD new lawnmower tires back on the rims I would be thrilled.
                      Just thought I would make a comment on this too.
                      I have replaced a few tires in my time, even tractor tires by hand.
                      A friend and I tried to replaced a tire on a small front pivot wheel on a 60" cut Snapper Zero turn with hand tools and everything else we could think of,never again.

I am not sure if we finally got it done ourselves or gave up and took it to a shop finally get it put all the way back on.
                      I will let the tire shop handle that from now on.
                      that small tire kicked our butts
                      Last edited by 99yam40; 12-10-2016, 09:47 AM.

Comment

*** guys thanks for all the replys.. I've learned so much on this site thanks to all of you. I really appricate the help. So I went to the boat today and the prop shaft oil seals loom great and I checked the level of the oil from the oil vent screw and all is good. I posted a pic of the seal but I will still do a pressure test and check all seals in lower unit when i replace the water pump.... Thanks for all the help guys....
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                          Just thought I would make a comment on this too.
                          I have replaced a few tires in my time, even tractor tires by hand.
                          A friend and I tried to replaced a tire on a small front pivot wheel on a 60" cut Snapper Zero turn with hand tools and everything else we could think of,never again.

I am not sure if we finally got it done ourselves or gave up and took it to a shop finally get it put all the way back on.
                          I will let the tire shop handle that from now on.
                          that small tire kicked our butts
                          Too funny. Tires are on. And finally got the bearings in the mail to replace the lousy bushings that were factory installed. Couldn't get the stupid dust caps back on over the thrust washer. Thanks to YouTube I realized I needed to heat the dumb things to get them to slip back on. Always something to learn....

Comment

Originally posted by Yamaha3535 View Post
                            *** guys thanks for all the replys.. I've learned so much on this site thanks to all of you. I really appricate the help. So I went to the boat today and the prop shaft oil seals loom great and I checked the level of the oil from the oil vent screw and all is good. I posted a pic of the seal but I will still do a pressure test and check all seals in lower unit when i replace the water pump.... Thanks for all the help guys....
                            Congrates!!! Looks good too!

Keep in mind, the two seals under the WP plate, the tension springs tend to
                            fail over time...

Although mine wasn't leaking, the upper seal (of two) to mine had that spring fail. Generally a good idea to replace em...
                            Scott

Comment

Working...
                            X