Trim gauge acting weird, need some advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trim gauge acting weird, need some advice

I have a 2003 Vmax 200 with analog gauges. I had to replace the plastic trim sensor cam that activates the trim lever. I adjusted the position of the trim at home in the driveway with the motor on the trailer. When I was using the boat this weekend, the trim gauge would peg itself at the top of the meter when the trim was all the way in. If I trimmed the engine up just a little it would go back to normal operation. It did this all day long and I'm stumped how to fix it. Any help would be appreciated.

blackie,
    Re-adjust the trim ring/cam so that with outboard tucked all the way in, the gauge does not peg all the way to the top.
    Ken K [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I reset it again today before posting the first message and what is really strange is that it pegs the meter when the lever on the sending unit hits the 1/4 mark at the bottom of the meter. When it is at the very bottom it doesn't peg the meter at all. Only when I hit that one spot around the 1/4 mark.

Comment

blackie,
        Sounds like a bad t/t gauge sender unit.
        You might try raising the motor and dropping down the tilt locking lever (for safety). Then squirt some WD-40 between the sender arm and the sender housing. Move the arm back and forth by hand several times to work the solvent into the housing.
        If the above doesn't help, then time to replace the sender unit.
        Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
        Ken K

Comment

I took the sending unit off this afternoon and did exactly what you described. I decided to replace it after failing to get it to work properly.

Comment

Working...
          X