Oil in cooling system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil in cooling system

When my 1990 90HP Yamaha had its water pump serviced a while ago, they did not put any oil seals on the drive shaft below the water pump. I fixed the lower unit myself (since I dont trust my local service department any more!) and it is now working fine.

I am concerned about the effect that oil in the cooling system will have on the engine and wondered if anyone had advice about cleaning it out? When I took the water pump apart, the water passages had a coating of a thick, oily film. I assume that the rest of the cooling system has this coating as well and am worried that it could be blocking cooling passages in the power head and generally reducing life/performance of my engine.

Any advise for what I might be able to use to clean out the goop?

Thanks,

Greg

Greg,
    When you took apart the newly rebuilt water pump, that oily film may have been the residue from the grease that is applied to the impeller and cup.
    Since you are concerned about any oil that may be in the cooling system passages, try flushing the motor with Salt-Away or Salt-Terminator, both concentrated liquids that contain a mild detergent.
    I would not worry about any oil film that may be in the cooling system - it will flush out just from use.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

Thanks Ken. I dont think it was the grease but I could be wrong. I will give the salt detergents a try just to be safe.

Greg

Comment

Working...
      X