2 stroke 3 cylinder 50hp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 stroke 3 cylinder 50hp

I have a '93 50hp 2 stroke. The propeller has a ding on one blade and there is a small oil leak behind the prop. I'm getting a mechanic to look at it - hope it's nothing major. Has anyone had a similar experience?

depends on if it is engine oil or gear oil.
    unburned fuel/oil can exit the prop bore and dribble down the skeg as can gear oil from a leaking seal or oring.

Comment

lower unit oil smells a lot different than 2 stroke oil so it is easy to tell the difference.
      put a dab on you finger and smell, no need to be sniffing the lower unit. people might think you were strange if you get down there and sniff

Comment

Weird? Nah, just a boat owner. Bet every one of you has sniffed your exhaust!
        Last edited by pstephens46; 11-27-2016, 03:41 PM.

Comment

A prop shop can fix the prop. The mechanic's just going to send it out and get a "cut" of the job..

Might be worth your while to pull the prop (one NUT) and check for fishing line up under the prop...That could cause a leak.

Most likely the prop seals (two) leaking...
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

You can recondition the prop at your local prop shop. Aluminum reconditioning is very inexpensive (I paid $35 when I had an AL prop), SS a little more expensive than AL. Whichever material prop you have, your prop looks brand new after reconditioning.
            Jason
            1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Working...
            X