No announcement yet.

Tach, volt meter, fuel guage not working 2003 2 stroke 200hp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a rig sitting up for that long may have been home to some critters that will cause problems with wires.

I hate to say it, but if you cannot trace the wires and inspect all of the wiring ,you may need to find someone that can.

I am getting to the point in my life that getting into a lot of places is not going to happen anymore because I may not be able to get back up or out without some help.

a voltmeter will show if there is voltage where it should be.
    If you are not familiar with electricity and trouble shooting it, it might be better to find a good shop

Comment

Sorry... need a flowmeter, I guess... been topping off the tank since 2004, wide open from clear lake to freeport... top to top... old school strapping a tank and using a stick for a level gauge... torque load causes more fuel consumption... not much boat in the water...

watch my high speed police pursuit camaro... electronic readings off laptop... tops out around 195... fuel consumption at 87 mph... 2 gph... wide open throttle during acceleration will pop 22...

anyway.... no need for drag inducing tabs... boat trims out great without... propping out at lower rpm due to prop pitch.. no jack-plate for drag. and that is knots not mph... pic shows total trim out... no load on engine... drops fuel consumption... sorta like accelerating in car rather than maintaining a constant speed.... or load on truck with trailer at same rpm...

would love one of those meters... may have to install it due to tank gauge not working

You damn well might be right.... just made runs with gps logging of knots... distance traveled... time... and re topping tank...

its me running out of fuel not you...

other than the call on the BS of the burn rate... still a nice damn boat...

Comment

Very few people run a motor WOT for and hour to see what the fuel consumption is at WOT per hour.

rule of thumb is 10% of HP at WOT and it is close enough.

Yamaha Performance Bulletins will show a good bit of info for some rigs the same as or close to yours most of the time
        Last edited by 99yam40; 11-27-2016, 12:12 PM.

Comment

tabs down,trim full in, motor jacked to 3".
          if my depth sounder shows 1.5 ft I can slam the throttle and not touch bottom taking off.
          left the Blue Crab Tavern in colington NC many times that way.
          the tabs are wonderful heading into a sea.
          run it from the upper station and you don't get wet.
          I run boats on a mostly daily basis.
          most have either command link or a FMM so I can watch the flow.
          I recently ran a grady with triple F350 motors.
          on the pins at 5900 RPM the flow on the command link showed a total burn rate at 105 GPH.
          works out fairly close to the 10%.
          ran a 28 grady with twin sx250 motors.
          at 5400 RPM the FMM showed 60 GPH. again fairly close.
          my F150 at 5700 shows 15.5 at 41 MPH.
          at 3500 it runs about 30 MPH and shows a burn of about 6 GPH.
          flow meters take the fun out of boating.
          trust me that 10% rule works out at or near the engines rated HP.

Comment

*** guys...

working on wiring...
            saw a mention of running out of Freeport. mentioned all use boat
            and a slam on the seapro. boat pretty nice... wiring a mess.

get three slams on gph... is that the take away on all this?

anybody do a gulf crossing with zero fuel?
            How about doing 22 knots in 20 footers in a tropical storm with no gph.

gotcha...

still have no idea from all the help, why the tach is jumping and the other instruments are not coming on....
            but boy... we can read a flow meter...

I am an instrumentation designer... how about flow rate of 3000 psi steam in 30" pipe at 4 million pounds per hours?... Bailey control system, ABB coal fired boiler, ABB fire system... 4 level steam...

jeez...

Comment

on the tach, you most likely either have a poor connection or the tach is failing.
              it was not a high end tach when new.
              why seapro, and some others, decided to rig it with a fine Yamaha engine then cobble some elcheapo instruments and harness's I will never know.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                on the tach, you most likely either have a poor connection or the tach is failing.
                it was not a high end tach when new.
                why seapro, and some others, decided to rig it with a fine Yamaha engine then cobble some elcheapo instruments and harness's I will never know.
                Sadly most boat manufacturers cut corners with wiring and other details.

Rodbolt, do you still sell Kencraft? Don't see those around here. Can you compare them to Grady and Parker? As I think Kencraft is a NC boat also.

Comment

OP as said before a meter will tell you where you have voltage and where you do not.
                  trace back from gauges to see where you have lost the 12+.
                  if you have 12+ to them then trace back where you lost the ground

I have been on blow boats a few times, but never liked the leaning of everything while under sail.
                  never went out while stormy, but friends made the trip across the GOM a few times during those races in some weather and told me all about it. I was glad I was not on the boat
                  Last edited by 99yam40; 11-28-2016, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                    Sadly most boat manufacturers cut corners with wiring and other details.

Rodbolt, do you still sell Kencraft? Don't see those around here. Can you compare them to Grady and Parker? As I think Kencraft is a NC boat also.
                    Lots of consumers demand cheap. Manufacturer's generally give customers what they want.

We have met the enemy. He are us.

Comment

thanks for the humor guys... I am kicking myself hard enough...

yeah, i have the issue of "boat clearances" myself. Dumbxss i was helping deliver a boat from key west to Galveston ran out of drinking water a day out. Had to pull the water heater out of a very "roomy" spot with pretty sporty weather without spilling the two gallons that were in there. much more spry than i am now.

Had back surgery, and the back brace they gave me is fiberglass. don't need it often and is actually pretty handy for those "curbs" you have to lay on to get to stuff. had surgery on both knee's, back and both shoulders. I can get in there, just doesn't make me ecstatically happy.

The great info of WHY it was so fubared helped. one harness for Seapro and one for Yamaha.

i am great at chasing wiring, 80,000+ pair in a plant instrument system. But I HAVE drawings. I am resisting the insane compulsive urge to clean ALL that mess up, cut out the extra wiring and do it right.

Am I correct that the main power and ground go to the motor first, then back to everybody else. Stupid question... just confirming. I had the voltage surge on the tilt motor after a "mechanic" worked on the boat,

Loads up the circuit and i can see the voltage drop on the now not functioning voltage meter. It was a direct result of something he did, didn't believe it was the motor, so i just lived with it for the past 5 years. The only effect was to knock out the sirius radio if the volume was too loud.

can you explain the tank sensor? i obviously have power... it goes to full. does the sensor work with high return voltage to show full? or the other way around?

picked up fuse assembly, gonna replace the one that has the fuse stuck in it. and connect the one that is apart for some reason. Gonna start with 7.5, then 10 then 20.

With the tach showing 2000 rpm, then after running a bit bouncing up to read correctly i have to find that corroded or bad connection somewhere.

Comment

does the boat have more than one battery?
                        if it does is one a house battery that runs all of the gauges, radios, etc. separate from the starting battery?
                        if so power to gauges may not come from the motor 10 pin harness

I am no help on the level gauge wiring.

a bad connection on + or - at battery or somewhere else could drop voltage when when you hit the T*T as it pulls some amps

Comment

My voltage indicator is part of my Yamaha gauge. If I happen to be looking at it when cranking, the voltage drops from the load, maybe 1.5 volts. Have to assume the tilt/trim does something similar considering the load. Unless you are killing batteries and unable to crank or use trim/tilt, I don't think this is an issue. I would focus on the gauges not working first.

Comment

Working...
                          X