2 stroke electrical problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 stroke electrical problems

hi guys ive just had my first problem with my 2 stroke yamaha outboard its a tiller steer starts up fine idles fast but then settles when i put it in gear to take off and turn the throttle it only does about 5km/hr will not get up on the plane all im doing was just revving it out and then it cuts out.. and when i could go forward it would like surge and cut out... any one know what could have happened???

Need a bit more info, do you mean it revs but goes nowhere? Your description is a bit vague.

Comment

and remember every 2 stroke tiller was the same.
      we need a model number.

Comment

i will get alll information in the morning as i work away and am home tomrrow for 2 weeks sorry boys

Comment

yes it revs out and wont go anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by ausnoelm View Post
            Need a bit more info, do you mean it revs but goes nowhere? Your description is a bit vague.
            year model is 2003 i dunno if this helps but the serial number is 6h5 1001033

Comment

From another thread, it's a 130 beto v4 2

Has the engine sat with older fuel, "un-stabilized" in it?

Generally, it sounds like your carb(s) are likely varnished up/clogged and need cleaning.
              Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 11-23-2016, 08:03 AM.
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by joshua18 View Post
                yes it revs out and wont go anywhere
                If the motor revs way up but prop is not pushing the boat then there is a problem with the prop hub slipping.

But not sure what you mean with it surges and cuts out

could it be over reving and hitting the over rev protection
                Last edited by 99yam40; 11-23-2016, 12:18 PM.

Comment

A 6H5 prefix Yamaha is going to be a 50 HP two stroke. Similar to a USA C50TLR or a 50TLR.

Comment

Originally posted by joshua18 View Post
                    hi guys ive just had my first problem with my 2 stroke yamaha outboard its a tiller steer starts up fine idles fast but then settles when i put it in gear to take off and turn the throttle it only does about 5km/hr will not get up on the plane all im doing was just revving it out and then it cuts out.. and when i could go forward it would like surge and cut out... any one know what could have happened???
                    Joshua:
                    This is just a thought. You may have a worn out clutch dog in your lower unit or, (not sure) maybe just an adjustment is needed on your shift linkage.

Look at this video to see how it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYPuB9nmS8E

If the square teeth on the clutch dog are worn and rounded from where they engage into the forward gear (which mating teeth may be worn as well), they may hold at low RPM, yet slip out when rpm is increased and more load is placed on them. Effectively your drive shaft will spin but your propeller shaft wont.
                    Now don't know this for sure, but maybe if your shift linkage is not adjusted properly the clutch dog may partially engage and slip when load is placed upon the clutch dog and drive forward gear?

I did have a breakdown caused by my Evinrude at the time where I was 20 miles off the Keys in Florida Bay. What happened to me is that all of a sudden I lost power and RPM would increase drastically, the clutch dog was slipping. I was able to run slightly above idle and make home as long as I did not accelerate.

I disassembled my lower unit and I found the clutch dog teeth and matching forward gear teeth worn as well. I rebuilt the lower unit.

This was some 25 years ago. Hope this is not your problem.

Others may chime in about adjusting your shift linkage. Maybe it is simple as that, if not another issue. And yet others may say I am complicating the issue!

Good luck.
                    Last edited by cpostis; 11-23-2016, 12:13 PM.
                    Chuck,
                    1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

Besides more data on the engine, we need to know exactly what the engine does, IE stall, turn off rev BUT no propulsion, etc.

Perhaps a video if there's issues describing it..

As a suggestion, maybe for a signature under settings, put your year, model, HP etc down there. Then there's no guessing..
                      Scott
                      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Seems to me that he is saying it just revs but goes slow, as in no propulsion, easiest and very first check would be the prop.....can you check the prop bush yourself, or even just borrow a prop off someone for a short run?

Comment

Clutch dogs not holding in gear should be very noisy and he said he does move some but not fast

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                            Clutch dogs not holding in gear should be very noisy and he said he does move some but not fast
                            Yes, may be very noisy if the clutch dog slips during idle or low rpm. In my case, I could not notice the noise while idling or low rpm because the dog was not slipping and I had normal propulsion at the idle/low rpm load. When accelerating and placing the motor under load, the rpms would surge and the noise from the motor trumped the noise from the slipping dog. If I decelerated, the dog would engage again.

Again, this is just a thought!
                            Chuck,
                            1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

yes the motor has sat with old fuel before..

what i mean by surge is it will pick up as if it wants to get on the plane then fully cuts out.

all coils are fine..

ive been told its the cdi unit but im not so sure on that

i dont have access to another prop to try either

Comment

Working...
                              X