Mercury - Boscoe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mercury - Boscoe

I don't know much about Mercury...Surfing the internet and decided to look at Mercury racing engines. Mercury 200hp SST Optimax. I know Boscoe has mentioned it would be nice if Yamaha would engineer a belt driven alternator. This merc has just that. And this sucker spins up to 8000rpm also.

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
    I don't know much about Mercury...Surfing the internet and decided to look at Mercury racing engines. Mercury 200hp SST Optimax. I know Boscoe has mentioned it would be nice if Yamaha would engineer a belt driven alternator. This merc has just that. And this sucker spins up to 8000rpm also.
    The Mercury 150 four stroke and Verado's also has a belt driven alternator. Just like most automobiles and trucks have had since the 1950's I believe.

Yamaha likes to continue using 100 plus year old motor cycle stuff. The more parts the better it seems. If one carburetor will do the job lets use four of the rascals.

Instead of one high capacity belt and one alternator lets use lighting coils, rectifier/regulators, water coolers, etc. for the R/R's to generate miniscule amount of power and then lets waste HP generating electrical power that is not needed and which has to be wasted to keep the voltage down. Brilliant.

Comment

I'm waiting for Fairdeal to introduce his hydrogen powered outboard!!!
      Chuck,
      1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

that belt driven alternater aint all that.
        it still has a regulater rectifier,lighting coils(stator) and a rotor.
        now we also get to deal with broken belts and more belt dust.
        in other words. they break more often.
        yea I also get to deal with the mercs in the dry stack.

Comment

Now that I think about it, how about a gear driven starter/generator? Less components still. Less weight. More output.

Or at least a belt driven starter/generator.

Comment

Do they make such a thing?

if a starter turns fast and takes a lot of current to turn the motor at a slow speed(starter turning a lot faster gue to gear reduction), how much output would would you expect at 5-6K rpms of motor( not sure what the starter RPMs would be)

and would it stay together turning as fast as it would with the increase of RPM due to gearing?

Seems like too big of a difference in work to have them combined.
            But this is the kind of thing engineers do (think outside the box)
            Last edited by 99yam40; 11-09-2016, 11:56 AM.

Comment

A pair of oars requires no belts, carbs or alternators, rarely break down, and are very cheap to own, it's all just a matter of choice.....

Comment

Working...
              X