Fogging disaster!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fogging disaster!

While winterizing and fogging my Yamaha 175 Saltwater series II this weekend I lost a plastic straw from the fogging spray into cylinder #5 and now can't get it out of there. Does anyone know how to remove it? What happens if the straw remains when I start it up next spring? will it totally mess up my engine or just burn it up or pass it through?

I do not believe that you can leave it in there. If you cannot extract it then in the spring you should plan to remove the head.

Can you use a small flexible grabber and manually rotating the flywheel to change the straws position to pull it out? Long shot, but possible.

Good Luck

Comment

I would think it would melt and smear all over the cylinder wall and piston top and stick the rings

Comment

Couple years ago it was bumblebee now a straw! Get a pair of those long skinny pliers and rotate flywheel slowly with a flashlight.

Comment

You might try a length of small diameter, fairly stiff wire - bend a u shaped hook in the end and try to 'fish' the straw up close enough to the hole to be able to grab it with needlenose. Might take a hundred tries, but you'll eventually get it.
          '87 Outrage 18, '04 F150
          '97 SeaArk 15, F25

Comment

I would thing something that is extremely sticky might help .

Comment

all that fogging oil would probably not let the sticky stuff stick to anything

Comment

Did you already look in the spark plug hole?

If not seen, it may help to slowly trim up the engine, perhaps have a helper turn the steering while peeking with a strong flashlight.

A bore scope would definitely help you find it in there.

How far down is the piston currently in the bore?

Definitely do NOT crank over the engine. Worse case scenario, the R&R of the head isn't hard to do..
                Scott
                1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

it happens so many times with so many people
                  and nothing about it in a fine print on a oil can label
                  I smell class action lawsuit against fogging oil manufacturer

Comment

Did a little thinking on this. At the beginning of the year I totally disassembled my SX150, so I am familiar with the ins and out of your motor as well.

If you are unsuccessful with what others have said, try this:
                    I would try is using a shop vac. Disable the ignition, remove all plugs , turn your flywheel clockwise until top of # 5 piston is below it's exhaust port (this will allow air flow through your cylinder when vacuum hose placed on spark plug hole). You more than likely will have to try several times (hose on/off plug hole quickly) to get the straw orientated so that it is not horizontal to the plug hole and will be sucked out.

If you still can't get it out, as second to last resort, try this:
                    Disable ignition and remove the plugs as described above. Remove your lower unit. I pretty sure if you turn your engine over with your starter and have the ignition disabled you will not have any straw melt down. Turn the motor over for a few seconds The straw should be forced out your exhaust port, down your mid section, and drop to the ground. May want to put something under your lower unit to catch and verify straw came out.

Last resort would be the removal/reinstallation of the head as others have said. At least you can inspect for deposits and condition of internal anodes if you do this.

You seem to have a few choices that are up to you to make.

Good luck!!!
                    Last edited by cpostis; 11-07-2016, 08:00 PM.
                    Chuck,
                    1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

Here's an elaboration on the wire hook idea : get a piece of brass or aluminum tube from the hardware store or HD, maybe 1/8" dia. Run the 'fish' wire through the tube and then bend the hook end. Probe cylinder with the tube / wire hook tool - if you can manage to get the hook around the straw - pull wire up to pinch straw against the end of the tube and pull whole deal out.
                      '87 Outrage 18, '04 F150
                      '97 SeaArk 15, F25

Comment

Originally posted by amahaork View Post
                        it happens so many times with so many people
                        and nothing about it in a fine print on a oil can label
                        I smell class action lawsuit against fogging oil manufacturer
                        Do you know the difference between a dead lawyer in the road and a dead skunk/snake in the road?

There will be skid marks in front of the skunk/snake.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                          Do you know the difference between a dead lawyer in the road and a dead skunk/snake in the road?

There will be skid marks in front of the skunk/snake.
                          Yup, my insurance company just "settled" for a claim where my daughter was in a "fender bender". The woman in the other car had a head injury laceration" (cut on her face).

She went to a lawyer and all of a sudden had 3 disk bulges, 2 herniated disks, sore ribs eye and shoulder.

Total settlement was for nearly $18,000 not including another $4,000 for her car damage (right front fender replace and paint).

Won't see skid marks made by me!!!
                          Chuck,
                          1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                            Did you already look in the spark plug hole?

If not seen, it may help to slowly trim up the engine, perhaps have a helper turn the steering while peeking with a strong flashlight.

A bore scope would definitely help you find it in there.

How far down is the piston currently in the bore?

Definitely do NOT crank over the engine. Worse case scenario, the R&R of the head isn't hard to do..
                            The piston was down so the bore was very open, I plan to try a scope and attempt recovery. My boatyard mechanic said they often loose that plastic straw and it shrinks and is expelled with the exhaust. But i will do everything possible to get it out!

Comment

Originally posted by tarheel53 View Post
                              Here's an elaboration on the wire hook idea : get a piece of brass or aluminum tube from the hardware store or HD, maybe 1/8" dia. Run the 'fish' wire through the tube and then bend the hook end. Probe cylinder with the tube / wire hook tool - if you can manage to get the hook around the straw - pull wire up to pinch straw against the end of the tube and pull whole deal out.
                              I like this plan and will try it!

Comment

Working...
                              X