Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb Gasket Residue

'98 S115TLRW

Installing new carb kits for my motor. The gasket between the bowl and carb body was super sealed on. I used an exacto knife to get the gasket up all at once, but not all of it did.

Anyone recommend a carb safe solvent that will help loosen the residue, a paper-like material. I tried some basic rubbing alcohol, works ok. Using a straight razor is even difficult to getting this stuff off.

Thanks!
    Jason
    1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

I usually just use my pocket knife or a putty knife rubbed on concrete or a wet rock to get a nice sharp edge, just be careful so you do not hurt the surface or you hand if you slip.
    Something with a handle is a lot easier and safer to use than a razor blade

Comment

Applied some Goof Off to a rag and scrubbed most of it off. It worked better than alcohol.
      Jason

Comment

I was going to post to soak it with WD40 or some penetrant.

That usually works well too, especially if your trying to "save a gasket", soak some, gently help off some, repeat..
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I'll remember that next time, but hopefully next time it won't be as bad. New gaskets with the kits so I wasn't trying to save them. Gently scraping off all the residue on that one gasket took me like an hour. Tedious to say the least.
          Jason

Comment

Working...
          X