Need some information on Relocating Yamaha 703 Side Mount Control Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some information on Relocating Yamaha 703 Side Mount Control Box

I'm working towards replace ing the center console in my boat and I need to remove the Yamaha 703 Side Mount Control Box from existing console and installing on the new console.

Is the wire harness from the control box to the engine permanently attached to the 703 or can it be "unplugged at control box and re-plugged in when control box is mounted on the new console?

I'm hoping I don't have to disconnect harness at engine and pull out and then re-pull and re-install...I'm concerned there are hidden wire ties that will make this a miserable project

Any suggestions/shortcuts ??

the 703 comes with a wire harness attached, it can be taken apart but it would be easier to just pull the harness from the boat.

Comment

Just a side note re zip ties.

With the Yamaha cables/lines running under the deck, they won't be zip tied.

The engine is attached way after the boat is built and rigged. The engine harness/cables are later run and can't be zip tied under the deck as their un-accessible.

Above deck, it may very well be zip tied.

Simply attach a rope (etc) to the engine end of the wires and pull them out leaving the ROPE under the deck. Once done at the console, re-attach the wires to the rope (tape well) and then pull them back thru the boat, below deck, etc...
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

If you decide to disconnect the wires from the binnacle, take pics of how the wires are connected once you remove the 2 cover plates. This will help when you re-connect the wires knowing which wire(s) connector plugs into which connectors. Most importantly, disconnect the battery cables before starting .

Comment

The harness is a replaceable item. It is simply connected within the control box by bullet connectors. They are all colour coded.

If it is too difficult to pull the main ten pin harness from the boat and through the rigging grommet on the motor then certainly it can be disconnected at the control box. Same as what would be done if the harness was damaged and needed to be replaced. See diagram below:

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
            The harness is a replaceable item. It is simply connected within the control box by bullet connectors. They are all colour coded.

If it is too difficult to pull the main ten pin harness from the boat and through the rigging grommet on the motor then certainly it can be disconnected at the control box. Same as what would be done if the harness was damaged and needed to be replaced. See diagram below:
            You say "Side Mount" but I think members including me are confused on actually what type control you have. Do you have a flush mount (#2 in the diagram below) or a side mount (#1 in the diagram)? Looks like flush mount would have the bullet connectors Boscoe speaks of with a separate wiring harness. Looks like the side mount would have the wiring harness directly connected internally? Should be obvious as the harness comes directly out of the side mount and is exposed? Boscoe, could you clarify?

Last edited by cpostis; 11-03-2016, 11:27 AM.
            Chuck,
            1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

A center console would normally have a side mount 703 control box.

A dual console might use a side mount 703 control box but also just might use a 6X6 flush mount control box.

Since the OP stated that he has center console, and used the words side mount, I am guessing he has a 703 control box.

The 703 box comes with the harness attached to the box but it is available separately as a spare part. Bullet connectors attach it to the key switch. Extensions are available if needed.

The 6X6 box does not come with a harness attached. The harness is purchased separately based on the length required.

Capiche?

Last edited by boscoe99; 11-03-2016, 12:43 PM.

Comment

hahaha but my guess is if they try to disassemble the box.
                they break the neutral start switch reassembling it.
                box is dirt simple.
                very sensitive.
                pull the harness back.

Comment

would like to use the Yamaha Concealed Flush Side Mount Remote Control Boat Marine 6x3 (C-01) not a binnacle mount and my boat is 20'RIB and the side mount control is what I want to replace.

The unit I want to use has a hidden control box and only the shift/trim handle is visible outside the console. It comes with a short cable and there is a Yamaha interface cable
                  the goes from there to the engine

It would save $150 to be able to use the existing 10 pin cable

Comment

Originally posted by cpostis View Post
                    You say "Side Mount" but I think members including me are confused on actually what type control you have. Do you have a flush mount (#2 in the diagram below) or a side mount (#1 in the diagram)? Looks like flush mount would have the bullet connectors Boscoe speaks of with a separate wiring harness. Looks like the side mount would have the wiring harness directly connected internally? Should be obvious as the harness comes directly out of the side mount and is exposed? Boscoe, could you clarify?

My current control box is image 1 -- what I'd like to get to is image 2

From the diagrams it looks like image 2 has bullet connectors that could be [plugged into corresponding wires that curenly run from 703 to engine ??

Comment

How did we go from wanting to disconnect a ten pin harness from a 703 control box to now seemingly wanting to use a side mount ten pin harness with a flush mount control box?

Anything is doable. It just takes time and money. Cutting, soldering and splicing if that is what one wants.

Comment

to use the 6x6 flush mount in a center console requires stripping down the flush mount and remounting the innards to the opposite side.
                        do a few and it takes about 30 min.
                        to use the 10 pin main from the 703 will require a switch plate.

Comment

Working...
                        X