Carb Jet Cleaner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb Jet Cleaner

What solvent is everyone using to soak carb jets? About 6 months ago I had a similar thread and I recall Townsend saying he uses PB Blaster Penetrant.

Also, anyone know the difference between the purpose of say the above mentioned PB Blaster and a specifically labeled Carb/Choke/Body cleaner (B-12, Gumout, etc)?

Thanks.
    Jason
    1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

The Material Safety Data sheets(MSD) will give you the ingredients for each product....I've always thought the Berryman's B-12 was among the best, but many others on the market.....

Comment

The PB Blaster is a great penetrant, NOT a carb cleaner.

If you have a jet that's stuck/frozen in the carb body, the Blaster seems to work the best for soaking into frozen threads IME. The PROPER SIZED screwdriver make a BIG DIFFERENCE as well..

As for cleaning jets, reg carb cleaner or SOAK them in lacquer thinner. LT works great for soaking / removing varnish in float bowls as well. As long as you can see light thru the jets once clean, your good.

You can also invest in a cheap "jet cleaner". The one I have has numerous different sized needles (rough further up) as small as (I'm guessing right now), .005" . (closes up like a feeler gauge when not in use), see below link.

If I have an area on a carb with sensitive rubber parts, I'll use BRAKE cleaner. It's not nearly as caustic as carb cleaner...

My jet cleaner tool is similar/ almost identical to this:
      https://www.amazon.com/BikeMaster-Ca...t+cleaner+tool

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 11-02-2016, 07:19 AM.
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

seems like I remember those as ox/acel torch tip cleaners back in the old days

Comment

Nothing will "soak" a bit of grit out of a jet, some products might clean gum types of stuff, but mostly, carbs need to be cleaned, and pulling the bowl off and seeing it all nice and shiny is NOT cleaning, and cleaning jets is also only part of cleaning.

Comment

Some folks like to use ultrasonic parts cleaners with a variety of solvents for deep cleaning of dirty carbs. Harbor Freight carries several models of the ultrasonic parts cleaners....just a thought....

Comment

I use single strand solid steel fishing leader wire of different diameters to break up solid deposits in small orifices, works great for me!
              Chuck,
              1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

Working...
              X