Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pickup timing 30hp mshz

got a 2001 30hp 3 cyl 2stroke mshz
    just got done setting the advanced(25*btdc)/idle timing(5*atdc)(tdc was spot on with the flywheel and pointer). I did have to retard the idle timing a lot. Was advanced almost 5*
    My question is, in the manual it states advance the timing arm until timing at 2* ATDC. Well, when i hook up my timing light its at 2* at base idle(750rpm).
    Is this normal? Before this i had a gap between the throttle roller and timing pickup thingy, but the manual states to set the roller lightly in contact with the timing arm at the specified 2*atdc.
    Almost done bringing this motor back to its full potential due to a lot of information i found using the search here. Theres a huge amount of information from about 4 of you guys who post here regularly everyday

ign timing at IDLE.
    roller NOT touching accelerator cam = 5* ATDC.

roller picking up the accelerator cam(carb pick up ) = 2* ATDC .
    both are +or- 1*.

full timing advance is 25* BTDC again = or-1*.
    it is not hard just follow the steps and assume nothing.

Comment

not sure I understand the OP post that well,

but my 99 C40 had a problem with the CDI that retarded the idle timing to about 14 ATDC when the wiper was at the Idle timing mark on CDI when it should have been at 7ATDC.
      ended up buying a new one to solve my problem.

Not sure if your 30 is set up the same way with the wiper tied to throttle linkage and marks for Idle and WOT timing on the CDI but if it is, are the marks close to where the wiper/pointer is when at the proper timing?

Comment

i did the idle and advanced timing with the engine off and followed the manuals steps.
        it said advance the wiper all the way, while having cyl 1 at 25* btdc. That was fine.
        Then it said move the wiper all the way left retarded and have the cyl set at 5* atdc. this is when i found it was currently way off with the wiper pointer being almost 2 inches to the right of the flywheels line.

What i was trying to explain is that with the timing set up like this(how the manual wants idle and wot timing), if i go to adjust the middle throttle roller i would be getting pick up timing instantly. Even at normal idle rpms the light was showing 2* atdc before i even tried touching the advancing arm. Does the idle timing need more retarding?

While i am mechanically inclined, Im not experienced with carbs and timing like this as everything now adays is electronic supertech this and that so this is a new experience for me, so thanks for putting up with any questions if they may seem extremely stupid.

Are you saying that when im at idle i should have a timing light showing me 5*atdc instead of the 2 its showing me now?
        Last edited by walleyehunter13; 10-29-2016, 09:47 PM.

Comment

it is dirt simple.

first you do the link and sync on the carbs leaving the throttle roller loose.
          then adjust the throttle cable and CDI linkage so it is at the 5*atdc mark.
          once you have a stable idle move the accelerator until the 2*atdc mark is on the flywheel. this is where you tighten the throttle roller arm.
          now pick up timing is set. now continue opening the throttle until it hits wide open. this is WOT and may need the throttle stop screw adjusted.

only way to properly check WOT timing is at WOT and a full load.

Comment

Originally posted by walleyehunter13 View Post
            i did the idle and advanced timing with the engine off and followed the manuals steps.
            it said advance the wiper all the way, while having cyl 1 at 25* btdc. That was fine.
            Then it said move the wiper all the way left retarded and have the cyl set at 5* atdc. this is when i found it was currently way off with the wiper pointer being almost 2 inches to the right of the flywheels line.

What i was trying to explain is that with the timing set up like this(how the manual wants idle and wot timing), if i go to adjust the middle throttle roller i would be getting pick up timing instantly. Even at normal idle rpms the light was showing 2* atdc before i even tried touching the advancing arm. Does the idle timing need more retarding?

While i am mechanically inclined, Im not experienced with carbs and timing like this as everything now adays is electronic supertech this and that so this is a new experience for me, so thanks for putting up with any questions if they may seem extremely stupid.

Are you saying that when im at idle i should have a timing light showing me 5*atdc instead of the 2 its showing me now?
            Can you post a picture of this wiper and flywheel line.
            I have never even looked at a 30 or a manual for it

Yes Rodbolt said 5 without the roller touching, he is a Yamaha master tech

Comment

pick up timing is the point where the magneto control lever PICKS UP the throttle roller.
              hence the term carb pick up timing.
              some manuals will refer to the accelerator lever as the magneto control lever.
              it just how it was translated that day.
              at a dead idle you should be about 5*ATDC, when you advance the accelerator to the point where the accelerator cam PICKS UP the carb throttle roller you should see about 2*ATDC, at wide open you should see about 25*BTDC.

remember there are TWO parts to the linkage and synchronization.

one places the throttle shutters in the correct positions and TWO syncs the ign timing advance to throttle shutter opening.

simply cannot do one without the other.

Comment

Here is with flywheel at 25btdc

Here is 5atdc

I'm lining the little line above the pointer with the magneto line right? Just realized my wot is a bit retarded but at idle they are lined up and I'm getting 2*atdc when looking with a light at that setting.

As for the carbs, I was doing the timing as I just cleaned the carbs out, link n sync them, and the manual called for adjusting timing if needed and then setting the pickup for the middle carb roller.
                Attached Files

Comment

sorry, but I cannot tell what is what with the pics.
                  It is not even close to what My C40 is set up like

I would not think you would have needed to move the linkage 2 " unless someone had jacked it around real bad or put wrong parts on it
                  Last edited by 99yam40; 10-30-2016, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                    sorry, but I cannot tell what is what with the pics.

I would not think you would have needed to move the linkage 2 " unless someone had jacked it around real bad or put wrong parts on it

I don't see any marks or the pointer either.
                    Scott
                    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

All the lock nuts were completely lose Ned to the end of the rod and screw threads, don't know if it was just from vibration or previous owner messing with it so I'm trying to make sure everything is proper now.
                      Under the flywheel you see a vertical line and under that the arm with the pointer. I'll try editing the pics to better show it, I'm at work so I'll try

Comment

That's a better close up of the idle position lined up. The pointer is the beefier metal part connecting right above the thread rod, and you can see the timing line on the pointer right above it lining up with the flywheel timing line.

I'm sure I'm confusing myself, and probably you guys. So I should be seeing 5atdc at idle with a light and if it's not adjust the screw to make it that way?

Comment

Alright, just to make sure (and remember I warned you I may sound stupid), the only thing that matters is what the timing light is showing me, and I should ignore lining up those marks on the wiper and magneto when I got the motor off. Makes a lot more sense as to why I'm seeing 2* at idle instead of what the book says

Comment

Hi all

Great forum. I'm currently working on a 30dhmo which looks similar to the one in this thread. Does anybody know the standard length for the advance retard arm. Be a good starting point for this project that's been messed with.

Comment

Working...
                            X