tilt trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tilt trouble

My tilt motor is blown, and the engine is stuck in the "down" position. As a result, I cannot access the tilt unit. Is there any way to tilt the engine up manually without disconnecting the tilt rod? There must be some kind of a bypass valve on this unit, but I can't find it in my manual. This is a 40 h.p. Yamaha two-stroke (1990). Any help would be much appreciated.

hawk,
    There should be a manual bypass valve screw on the t/t housing - take a look at this diagram (item #10):

http://www.boats.net/yamaha/partsyst...mponent=354071

The screw head should be accessible thru a hole in the mounting bracket of the motor - sometimes they are on port side, sometimes starboard.
    There should be a small image with an arrow stamped into the metal near the access hole to show which direction to turn the screw to bypass for manual lift.
    Turn the screw all the way till it stops and lift the outboard by hand all the way up and drop down the tilt locking lever for safety.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

Thanks, Ken. I found the screw, but it is totally corroded and bunged up and will not budge. Is there any other way to get the motor up? Should I just go ahead and drill out the screw since I'm going to replace the unit anyway? I can't even get the boat to the shop the way it is, as it will not trail with the engine down, at least not without risking damage to the lower unit (there is only about 3" of clearance between the engine and the ground), and I'd like to avoid the hassle of taking the engine off the boat if I can.

Comment

hawk,
        If you can get to the bolts that hold the t/t system to the motor bracket, try removing them.
        If not, I guess you're gonna have to drill out the bypass screw. Or try drilling a small hole and using an "easy-out" bit.
        Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
        Ken K

Comment

Working...
        X