Engine mounted fuel filter F150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine mounted fuel filter F150

Just changed the fuel filter on 2005 F150TXRD. Tried pumping the primer to fill the filter assembly with gas. Could not see any gas flowing into it. Can I start the engine to prime it? I am concerned I may get air into places that may not need it.
    Last edited by pstephens46; 10-21-2016, 06:46 PM.

The system is self bleeding.

Start the motor. It will run for quite a while on the gasoline that is in the VST. When the motor is running the mechanical fuel pump will be operating and drawing fuel from the tank and sending it on through the filter to the VST.

Comment

Thank you very much

Comment

Anybody know how to keep the dopey little red water indicator ring from falling off bottom of filter? It had fallen off the old one also. Not particularly worried about it but it is supposed to stay on.

Comment

Spread the legs of the filter base,

Comment

She filled in about 45 seconds. Thanks.
            Now on to a steering issue...

Comment

Or use the trim tabs

Comment

Regarding this engine mount fuel filter - when running, the fuel level is right at the bottom edge of the filter element. I would think it would at least be as high as the top of the yellow filter. Who knows? I never paid attention prior to changing. Ran it quite a bit, to make sure no leaks beneath the cowling and it didn't miss a beat.

Comment

Yep. its almost magical.

I'm sure its the same with opaque steel "Racor" type filters - we just can't see it.

One of these days I need to 'speriment with a pump and filter,

try to understand how that works.

Comment

Fortunately that cup was a breeze to remove and reinstall. Glad I didn't have to use the freezer trick

Comment

Working...
                    X