1989 225 Excel no propulsion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 225 Excel no propulsion

I suspect the driveshaft is no longer turning and am trying to find out what might cause it. Here are more details...

There seemed to be a tapping sound coming from the engine. I noticed this after I had trouble starting after sitting for a week. The engine was cranking ok. But on one turn of the key it cranked over a little and locked up. As if it seized. But I could turn the flywheel counter clockwise to get it back off that stroke. Then turned the key and it cranked past that spot and started. I took it out and seemed to be running fine. Thought I heard a slight tapping but thought it could be exhaust noise. Several days later I took the boat out. Started fine. Seemed to be a little hard shifting into reverse. No noise. Just needed more muscle. Ran around for a couple hours then the tapping started getting more and more noticeable till I lost propulsion and the engine just revved. It's not a spun prop because I'm getting zero turn on the prop shaft. It is shifting into and out of gear because when in gear the prop cannot be turned by hand (or boat book). When out of gear it spins freely as it should. I'm guessing something went wrong up in the power head where the driveshaft is turned. But my manual doesn't give me an exploded view of this. I'm handy but don't plan on fixing this myself. But I'd like to get an idea of what it could be to think about whether it's worth fixing. And so I can listen intelligently to the mechanic when I bring it.

I should provide a little other background. A month or so ago I had an unrelated shifting problem. The throttle got hung up and I couldnt get the throttle to neutral. I forced back on it and got it out of forward but it went right to reverse. There didn't seem to be any damage till I tried to get on plane later. They the prop hub spun. I put on a spare and ran around fine for a month till the other one was fixed. However I'm thinking this could have caused something that eventually caused this now catastrophic failure of the drive mechanism.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice.

Bill Smith

drop the lower unit and look at the driveshaft,
    that should show you if it was damaged and where
    Last edited by 99yam40; 10-20-2016, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Could it be further up in the power head?

Thanks. I thought about doing that. But I'm wondering how it connects to the crank shaft and if it could be something deeper in the power head that broke and not the shaft.

Comment

Start with lower. Drain oil. Betting you will find metal in it. Power head making all that racket would have died most likely by now.
        Last edited by pstephens46; 10-20-2016, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Do you know how to drop/remove lower unit and drain oil?

Comment

Originally posted by BS artist View Post
            Thanks. I thought about doing that. But I'm wondering how it connects to the crank shaft and if it could be something deeper in the power head that broke and not the shaft.
            If you look at the parts breakdown you should see that the shaft splines into the crankshaft itself, maybe the crankshaft broke in two before it gets to the end. never heard of it, but might be possible I guess
            Last edited by 99yam40; 10-20-2016, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Can you post an audio / video of it running?

Preferably with the cowling off to try and pinpoint the noise?

I'm wondering if the the top of the drive shaft (splined area) broke off.

It wouldn't have sheared off clean and once one piece moved from the other would make all kinds of racket AND potentially jam up the engine (if both parts of the driveshaft got offset/ extended / locked up, making cranking more difficult.)

The lower gear box would still engauge manually, BUT the engine wouldn't have any input /propulsion.

Agreed, thou, drop the lower unit, doesn't take 30 minutes going slow...
              Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 10-20-2016, 10:07 PM.
              Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

just noticed the OP name.
                thinking this is a *****

Comment

He has the same thread going elsewhere, so maybe not?

Comment

stupidly simple.
                    if the water tell tale is working then the drive shaft is spinning.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                      just noticed the OP name.
                      thinking this is a *****
                      Not a *****, its Bill Smith! Everybody knows him.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                        Not a *****, its Bill Smith! Everybody knows him.
                        Long Island Sound Bill Smith?
                        Chuck,
                        1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

You can find him easily with Google.

Comment

Working...
                          X