Trouble shooting remote tank oil pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ausnoelm View Post
    Using wrong terminology just confuses issues even more, a relay is a specific device, and the term is not to be interchanged, by your thinking, a wire is a relay, because it "relays" electricity from one place to another? just like switches are not sensors.
    I agree. Poor use of the word relay to describe the purpose of the harness, considering I used it in the subject matter of electricity.

What term of action should be used to describe the purpose of the harness? Transmit?
    Jason
    1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Using wrong terminology just confuses issues even more, a relay is a specific device, and the term is not to be interchanged, by your thinking, a wire is a relay, because it "relays" electricity from one place to another? just like switches are not sensors.
      Why can't a switch be used to "sense" the state or condition of a device?

If a switch can't be a sensor would you agree that a potentiometer or variable resistor also cannot be a sensor?

That is

A switch is a switch is a switch,
      A potentiometer is a potentiometer is a potentiometer,
      A resistor is a resistor is a resister,

But they are never a sensor?

Comment

You can split hairs and twist words all you like, but, devices are what they are, I have been "in" electronics for over 35 years, from component level repairs to design and very high end computing, so I know what components are, and terminology needs to be constant, just like my old bug bear, "cranking" it really means one thing, but people often refer to the motor running as cranking.

Comment

I am not trying to split hairs or put a spin on anything.

I am saying that a switch can be used as a switch and that a switch can be used as a sensor.

When used as a switch it is referred to as a switch.

When used as a sensor it is referred to as a sensor.

Same as a potentiometer. When used as a pot it it referred to as a pot. When used as a sensor it is referred to as a sensor.

With 35 years in the business this should be crystal clear to you.

Comment

Now let's talk what people call a fuel tank sender.

Normally they are referring to a variable resistor that is manipulated by a float on the end of an arm. The float rising and falling as the fuel level does the same causes the arm to move which in turn causes the resistor to change values. Those changing values are displayed on a gauge as varying levels of fuel.

Now what about the type of device that uses a number of reed switches, to do what the above mentioned variable resistor does. A float with a magnet, rising and falling as the fuel level does the same, causes the switches to open or close depending upon the proximity to the magnet. The opening and closing of the switches causes a change in resistance which in turn causes the gauge to change values. WEMA is a popular brand here in the land up over which uses this methodology. WEMA refers to their device as a fuel tank sender.

Are they wrong? Should it be called a fuel tank switches?

Comment

That instance is very easy to separate, the "sender" is variable, the reed switches are not, their on or off, nothing else, switched on, switched off, such a device in a fuel tank will work fine, but it will show either full or empty, and nothing else, see how easy that was? Over and out from me, terminology needs to be consistent if we are to understand what people are saying or asking, that, is crystal clear to anyone.

Comment

I have been "in" electronics for over 35 years, from component level repairs to design and very high end computing, so I know what components are, and terminology needs to be constant
                Back to my question, if we could for a moment. And it's good to learn I'm asking an experienced electrical guy like yourself. Instead of me using "relay" to describe what is essentially an electronic conduit, what term should be used to describe the purpose of the harness?
                Jason
                1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

wire or wiring

Comment

Working...
                  X