Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

200 HPDI Overcharging Question - Stator????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 200 HPDI Overcharging Question - Stator????

I have a 2001 HPDI which started overcharging a month ago. I fried the ECU by switching battery off while running. Very expensive mistake! Took it to the shop and paid $2070. First trip back out and it is charging between 14-17 volts depending on the RPMs. In looking at the diagram on this site the stator looks pretty easy to replace but I want to know if that is the problem first. Does anyone know if there is an easy way to test the stator?

tkgjax,
    Sorry about your expensive mistake - some things we have to learn the hard way, and we have all been there a time or two .
    Your rectifier/regulator module would be the suspect culprit, not the stator.
    If you have a starting battery that is in good condition, after crank-up, the voltage should charge up to a max of 14.6 volts after you get the rpm up above 3000 or so.
    Typically, on my C115, after crank-up, the voltage will be around 13 volts at low rpm.
    After I get up on plane and above 3000, the voltage will steadily climb to a max or 14.6 volts after a few minutes.
    If you don't have a digital volt readout on your console gauge, then you might want to temporarily connect a digital voltmeter to the battery terminals and monitor the voltage for testing purposes.
    Check all connections to the rectifier/regulator module - a bad connection might be the problem for faulty voltage regulation.
    Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

Thanks for the response Ken. I do have a readout on my guage and it is around 13 volts at idle and moves up to 16.5 at 3000 rpm. I have already replaced both batteries. Do you know of a way to test the rectifier? I found it in the diagram and it cost much less than the stator. That is a good thing. I have a voltmeter and plenty of tools but running out of labor money for the shop.....and I don't want to screw something esle up by trying to do it on my own.

Comment

tkgjax,
        There is probably a test procedure in the Yamaha service manual for the rect/reg assy - you really need one to help you troubleshoot.
        The stator houses the charge and lighting coils.
        The lighting coil feeds the rectifier/regulator assy with raw a/c voltage. If the lighting coil were to go bad, I would think that you would be getting an under-voltage condition - likewise if one of the diodes in the rectifier were to go bad.
        I could be wrong, but I believe your problem is in the regulator. Unfortunately, the rectifier/regulator comes as one unit (if I am looking at the correct diagram in the online catalog above), and Yamaha is pretty proud of it.
        Be sure and check that ground wire on the r/r assy. If it is not making good ground connection, then that could cause an over-voltage condition.
        Good luck, and let us know how you come out [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
        Ken K

Comment

Thanks again Ken. Looks like a bad rectifier/regulator. The two red wires leading to the blue connector on the back of the fuse holder are putting out 15-24 volts. Alot of fluctuation. Before I buy a new one is there anything else that could be causing this problem?

Comment

tkgjax,
            That's all I can think of - but I would still get that Yamaha service manual and follow the test procedure in there for the lighting coil voltages before I replaced the r/r assy.
            If you are planning on doing any of your own maintenance on your Yamaha, the shop manual will pay for itself. You can order online at www.yamahapubs.com.
            Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
            Ken K

Comment

I have a manual and it looks like you need a special adapter to test the lightning coil. There are three connections and I guess they have to be tested at the same time. I will buy the rectifier and take a chance since the restocking fee is less than the labor to replace at the shop. Thanks again for all of your help.

Comment

Hi. I have the same problem here my motors keep charging to overcharging should i need to replace the regulator

Comment

Working...
                X