winter formulation gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• winter formulation gas

is different, as i understand, due to high/low evaporation rate (special additives). however, it has positive affect on my 2 cycle outboard, as it definitely running better now, then during summer: better starting, idling, only at top rpm the same - at list i don't feel difference. am i right or wrong?

Winter gasoline is normally blended to have a bit more volatility to help with cold weather starts.

Most folks won't notice any difference with either type. Except for the price paid. Those that do generally report hard starts in the summer time. Once the motor is running it is not normally noticed which type is in the tank.

Peculiar that you can perceive a difference. Where are you located? I am in the south and it is still quite warm here. Doubt they have gone to winter blend here yet.

Comment

New York. Winter gasoline formulation started October 1.
      Yes, it starts better, like it wants to start, but in summer it was like, somewhat reluctant, to start. I don't idle much, no noticeable difference (i retract my earlier statement about better ideling).

Comment

IMHO if you notice starting difficulty, you have an issue that will likely become worse, especially when a seasonal formulation of legal fuel makes a difference.

Carburated engines rely on venturi effect to deliver fuel. Ethanol fuels have a short shelf life due to alcohol's affinty to water and potential phase separation. This subjects materials to much greater concentrations than the rated 10%. Together small obstructions create problems. Cars with carburetors were last built in the mid eighties for good reason.

Fuel stabilizer helps, but in no way is a solution to a problem.

I remove all fuel from the boat between trips and haven't had issue for years. I'll be putting on today for the third time this year and I anticipate like new performance just like last time.

Comment

Working...
        X