Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2005 F100 lumpy idle

Hi all newby here from the UK.
    Just found this forum after googling timing marks for the F100 as I'm in the process of changing my timing belt.
    Anyway my timing marks seem to be lining up OK so just got to pop the flywheel and I'm good to go.
    I have only recently bought the engine fitted to a 5.5M Zodiac and it really goes well apart from a slightly lumpy idle.
    The engine has carbs and I have not yet checked for balance etc but I have fitted new plugs and fuel filter/separator as the previous owner mentioned that she was due for a service.
    Is there anything I should be looking at specifically with regards to the idle?
    The engine has only done around 220 hours and once throttles are opened the engine is smooth as can be.
    Many thanks

Get the throttles synced properly.

Basic's first...

As it runs good off idle as the throttle plates are open, that points towards the lumpy idle, (ie, one cylinder pulling more than the other at idle)...
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Get the carbs synced properly.

Basic's first...

As it runs good off idle as the throttle plates are opened, that points towards the lumpy idle, (ie, one cylinder pulling more than the other at idle)...
      Scott

Comment

Thanks for that I'll have a check on my next day off and check back.

Comment

Picked up the idle speed today a touch and it seems to be much smoother now.
          I'll try and upload a video with the Carbtune connected.
          https://youtu.be/GyGK3Wycj_U

Comment

Originally posted by nigxlzodiac View Post
            Picked up the idle speed today a touch and it seems to be much smoother now.
            I'll try and upload a video with the Carbtune connected.
            https://youtu.be/GyGK3Wycj_U
            Do you have the little restrictor "do dads" in-line in the Morgan Carbtune?

It doesn't appear to be, their jumping WAY to much to get a useful reading...

The idle sounds pretty darn steady there... I don't hear any "lumpyness".

#3, best I can see, does appear to be pulling slightly harder than the rest.
            Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 10-20-2016, 06:10 PM.
            Scott

Comment

Well yes and no to the do das. I've got three of the four so I took them out .
              The video shows the engine running after I picked up the idle speed so I'm pretty pleased with it now.
              Will have another hunt round for the last restrictor and try again.
              Thanks for looking.

Comment

Without the restrictors, its about useless... At least put the 3 back in and move one hose where you don't have one. It'll take several times but it'll be WAY more accurate than what you have now..
                Scott

Comment

what RPM is it idling at now that you raised it?

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                    what RPM is it idling at now that you raised it?
                    At around 850 rpm by the boat tacho, will check with a separate tach next time.

Comment

Working...
                    X