Remote control 6x0, neutral gear problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pberggren1 View Post
    For me It looks very much like a switch?
    I believe it's for shifting into neutral (part #4-"shift cut switch"). It cuts ignition
    for a split second to make shifting into neutral a little easier.

Rodbolt, I don't remember seeing part #5 which states its's a neutral safety switch?
    (Pic is from my PDF F150 manual)

View is from the rear of the engine looking forward (switches on the starboard side)

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 10-07-2016, 02:23 PM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

The motor itself has two switches. One is a neutral position switch. Referred to as a neutral switch. The other is a shift cut switch.

Not to be confused with the neutral safety switch that is embedded within a Yamaha control box so as to prevent a motor from being cranked/started when the shift handle is not in the neutral position. The neutral safety switch is normally closed when the throttle handle is in the neutral position so that current can flow to the starter relay. Shift the throttle handle into gear and the switch opens. With the switch open the starter motor cannot be energized.

Now the neutral position switch tells the ECU if the motor is in gear or out of gear. Out of gear, and if there is water in the fuel filter cup, the alarm will beep. If in gear the alarm will stop. The switch being open when the motor is in neutral may limit the WOT RPM to a different value than what the WOT RPM will be if and when the motor is in gear. We read all the time about some fools revving their motor when it is in neutral and out of the water. The switch is trying to protect the motor from such abuse.

The shift cut switch causes the ignition timing to be retarded or for some cylinders to misfire when the engine is being shifted from in gear to out of gear, to make the shift easier.
      Last edited by boscoe99; 10-07-2016, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Thank you for a very informative answer.
        Now I feel like I know all there is to it.
        I will look into the control box next time the error occurs.

Kind regards

Comment

Working...
        X