oil leak on 30hp 3 cyl 2 stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil leak on 30hp 3 cyl 2 stroke

First off, I want to thank you guys as I've lurked here a while and found tons of good info, but now I have a problem I can't seem to find anywhere.
    2001 yam 30hp 3 cyl 2 stroke
    Whenever I tilt my motor all the way up I get 2 stroke oil leaking out of the cowl. I check my tank and it's bone dry outside. My lines all appear dry also. I notice my center and bottom carbs have oil on them around the bowl. Where could it be coming from? My reservoir is less than half full. I thought it was my sensor cap but after cleaning it really good and putting a little 5200 where the wires come out, that stopped leaking there and is only coming from the mystery spot.

Second..
    Part 41 on

2001 30MSHZ Yamaha Outboard OIL PUMP EXCEPT 25MH Diagram and Parts

The breather.
    What does this part do? I took it off to I'm spectacular it to get an idea of what it is and I can see straight through it. I presume this was supposed to be some kind of one way or check valve but right now it's function as just a straight through hose connector. Is this important? Could it be the reason I'm getting leaks? The hose that's connected to it is empty except for a little where it connects to the pump.

Thanks in advance. Picked up this motor used a few months back from an old guy who barely used it and never took care of it

I am not any help with the breather construction, but if I had the motor I would remove cowling ,clean it all up real well, and inspect it when tilting to see if I could see where the oil is coming from

Comment

If it's a pre-mix motor(without oil injection) when you tilt it up the fuel(gas/oil mix) can leak out of carb and gas evaporates leaving behind the oil....my motor is pre-mix and the breather always has some 2 stroke oil in....no big deal to me...

Comment

It's oil injected.
        Think I'll try tilting and watching like you said. I always forget to check it at ome since I always have the motor down unless I'm in the nmz where my motor has to be all the way up.

Comment

Look through this thread to see my solution with photos on posts #24 & #28. I wrapped the pipe tape around the seal and then seated the sensor.

http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...ap-th7586.html

Comment

The leak is not coming from the tank.
            Originally I did have a leak at the sensor, and your post was one of the reasons I found this site. I wrapped the neck by the ridges on the sensor and zip tied the cap and it stopped leaking from there, but then started leaking through the wires coming out of the sensor. I put a glob of 5200 up in where the wires exit and that fixed the sensor completely from leaking.
            I'm getting this leak somewhere around the carbs. Between 2 and 3 I believe or just around #3. The outside of my tank is completely dry so it's definately not the tank leaking anymore.
            I'm going to try tilting it friday as I don't have time during the week with work

Comment

that "breather" is a simple connector.
              it is part of the oil pump self bleeding/return system.
              have you tested the inline check valves?
              if the leak you will get oil in the cowl when tilted.

Comment

I checked the in line checks to make sure they just worked in one direction and not the other. How would I test if they are leaking?
                This seems like the most probably cause as the leak seems to be in the area they inject from

Comment

If that is where oil is coming from when you look, I would replace all 3 even if only one is the problem

I take that back, just saw they are almost $20 each

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                    If that is where oil is coming from when you look, I would replace all 3 even if only one is the problem

I take that back, just saw they are almost $20 each
                    I don't mind replacing but I also don't want to just be part changing for no reason either. How would I know if they're leaking? I thought they are just a one way valve, oil comes in through pump side, nothing can come back through the intake side? I used a syringe with hose attached to the nipple to push oil through to test both side, noticed I needed some pressure to get it to start going through, I presume that's to keep gravity from draining the lines when not running

Comment

my thoughts are to look to see where it is leaking from to start out with

Did it check in one direction or not?
                      cannot tell from what you wrote

Comment

When injecting oil in the direction of the arrow flow it works, takes a bit a pressure but works. Injecting from the side where the arrow is pointing towards the syringe it blocks it.

I got someone sending me a whole used oiler system off a junker motor. Solve my breather problem and check valve problem at the same time

It's a slow leak but over the time of fishing a few hours in the nmz it normally amounts to a few ounces. I don't have time to wait for it right now, friday it will be first thing on my list when I wake up.

Comment

replacing parts and hoping that will fix it before finding out what is leaking sounds kind of strange to me.
                          not sure what your breather problem is since Rodbolt said it was just a connector

Comment

My buddy with the junker motor that's the same as mine confirmed my breather is damaged and was also backwards from the original owner. He offered to send me the whole oiler system tanks lines and all free if I pay shipping so I figured it wouldn't hurt to replace it for the a case of beer. I just wanted the breather so I can feel better about that. If the hurricane isn't hitting to hard in central florida I'm going to break out a lawn chair and play the wait **** till I do pin point the leak.

Comment

Working...
                            X