225 4-Stroke trim/tilt guide interference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 225 4-Stroke trim/tilt guide interference

On several occasions my engine stops traveling down as it enters the plastic guides on the sides of the bracket. I hauled the boat and found that the guides are slightly bowed. the problem can be resolved by hitting the up button then trying down again but it seems that there is an issue. Is this normal or not. If not what is the fix? Engine is 3 years old and has 60 hours on the meter.

Can you post a model #?
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I think I have similar "bowed" plastic guides on my 2005 F225TXRD.

But I am skeptical that the "bowing" could actually stop your motor from tilting down.

I would make sure the fluid level was topped up before doing anything further....

Comment

You could release the pressure with the manual screw on side of bracket. Bet those guides, as Fairdeal mentioned, would not slow the descent a bit. If you do that btw, unscrew slowly, don't let the engine drop down!

Comment

Are the parts # 12 & 15?:

2005 F225TXRD Yamaha Outboard BRACKET 1 Diagram and Parts

The pic's "look" their supposed to be flat

By chance, has the motor bracket been messed with( (re-mounted, etc) or any other recent work?

Can you feel any slop right before it acts up by pushing the engine back and forth (basically checking for potential wear in the main pivot)?

*Fairdeal, can you confirm if they bowed out on their own with time or should they be flat / even thickness?

Where I'm going is, if their supposed to be flat and with sun exposure, etc, and the spec's are pretty tight, BUT they warped just a tad, that may cause the issue..

For the OP, just for S&G's, can you smear just a tad of water proof grease where contact is made on both sides and see if that helps?

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 10-01-2016, 08:11 PM.
          Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
            Are the parts # 12 & 15?:

2005 F225TXRD Yamaha Outboard BRACKET 1 Diagram and Parts

The pic's "look" their supposed to be flat

*Fairdeal, can you confirm if they bowed out on their own with time or should they be flat / even thickness?

Where I'm going is, if their supposed to be flat and with sun exposure, etc, and the spec's are pretty tight, BUT they warped just a tad, that may cause the issue...
            yes, exactly, 12 & 15 - that's what I'm referring to.

They are just thin plastic, shoud be perfectly flat.

On mine, seems as though the plastic "grew" lengthwise.

It didn't get thicker - or uneven -

just "puckered" outward between the screws.

Comment

Originally posted by cbowerspe View Post
              On several occasions my engine stops traveling down as it enters the plastic guides on the sides of the bracket. I hauled the boat and found that the guides are slightly bowed. the problem can be resolved by hitting the up button then trying down again but it seems that there is an issue. Is this normal or not. If not what is the fix? Engine is 3 years old and has 60 hours on the meter.
              Could it be that one/both of your trim piston rams are binding? Just coincidence that it happens at the same point as "as it enters the plastic guides".
              Try this, first ensure your fluid is topped off, then raise your motor using your trim/tilt switch and engage the tilt support lever, begin lowering the motor and continue. This is what should happen: One of the two trim rams retract, then the other retracts (this is how my trim/tilt operates, yours may be different). If it does not do this, I would think you have a problem within hydraulic unit somewhere. At least you may be able to eliminate the "plastic guides" as the problem.

Edited, added video for reference
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mOi...layer_embedded
              Last edited by cpostis; 10-01-2016, 09:37 PM.
              Chuck,
              1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

This engine weighs close to 600 lbs. Doubt if the plastic is preventing movement. Hydraulic issues more likely.

Comment

Any updates??? Did you try loosening the bleed screw?
                  Scott

Comment

Working...
                  X