F225TXR ECM pinout changes: pre / post Command Link

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F225TXR ECM pinout changes: pre / post Command Link

Its been a bit slow here, so I'll share some work I did some days ago.

The 2003 "F225C" Service Manual LIT-18616-02-76 has a schematic of the ECM pins by function.
    Of course that was before Command Link.

My 2005 was made with the Command Link wiring harness -

and I've been fascinated by the idea that - using the same 44 pin connector -

Yamaha was able to add several more "wires":
    CL data connector
    CL speed sensor
    CL pressure sensor
    CL Trim input

So I spent some time with the continuity meter.

The 2003 schematic showed two pins as "Vacant" - and they are still not used with the Command Link harness.

To add the CL inputs/output, Yamaha re-worked the way they handled power;
    "bundling" power supplied by the ECM to all the 3-wire sensors,
    and changing the way power is supplied to the ECM.

The latter is the most interesting, to me - particularly what was done with the Tach output.

Below is the 2003 schematic annotated with the pin changes made for Command Link.

(I have not attempted to correct the external connections shown)

What I find sad is that Yamaha will make configuration changes to motors that are being produced but then will not update the service manual to reflect those changes. They will issue owner's manuals for each model (used to be yearly) that many will never read, and load it up with extraneous information (perhaps too much) but then fall way short when it comes to the manual that really counts.

The F200/F225 SM is not the only manual that is deficient in this regard. Most all are.

Now put yourself into the shoes of the young and inexperienced Yamaha mechanic or a diy'r that is trying to trouble shoot an electrical problem. All he has to go on is the SM. Hours and hours get wasted, frustration builds, and the customer gets charged more than he should for a repair.

Yamaha craftsmanship = excellent
    Yamaha design = good
    Yamaha data = crap

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
      What I find sad is that Yamaha will make configuration changes to motors that are being produced but then will not update the service manual to reflect those changes. They will issue owner's manuals for each model (used to be yearly) that many will never read, and load it up with extraneous information (perhaps too much) but then fall way short when it comes to the manual that really counts.

The F200/F225 SM is not the only manual that is deficient in this regard. Most all are.

Now put yourself into the shoes of the young and inexperienced Yamaha mechanic or a diy'r that is trying to trouble shoot an electrical problem. All he has to go on is the SM. Hours and hours get wasted, frustration builds, and the customer gets charged more than he should for a repair.

Yamaha craftsmanship = excellent
      Yamaha design = good
      Yamaha data = crap
      Question for Yamaha Master Mechanics, does Yamaha send you Technical Service Bulletins regularly or otherwise? If they do, and knowing Yamaha, I guess they would not be available for the consumer?
      Chuck,
      1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

Originally posted by cpostis View Post
        Question for Yamaha Master Mechanics, does Yamaha send you Technical Service Bulletins regularly or otherwise? If they do, and knowing Yamaha, I guess they would not be available for the consumer?
        I would think that Yamaha would send them to the Yamaha dealers not the techs.

And am sure the people that own Yamaha motors only get the benefit of the bulletins when they take them into the dealer for repair or maintenance

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
          I would think that Yamaha would send them to the Yamaha dealers not the techs.

And am sure the people that own Yamaha motors only get the benefit of the bulletins when they take them into the dealer for repair or maintenance
          Yamaha makes technical bulletins available to their dealers at a Yamaha US website. If the dealer gives his mechanic(s) access to the website then the mechanics can view technical bulletins.

Yamaha also makes available to their dealers a document called the "On Board" magazine. This gives very generalized information regarding products, spare parts, interfacing with Yamaha US, training courses available, etc..

And then there are the really juicy documents that are only available to individuals within Yamaha. Even some of those documents are restricted within the company to varying levels of employees.

One dealer has been known to post some of the Yamaha information at his website so that Yamaha customers can view them. Here is an example concerning the balancer replacement.
          F150 Balancer Replacement Instructions

Another regarding timing belt tensioning.
          Timing Belt Tensioner Information

Comment

Working...
          X