F4MLHY; 5Yr. Storage/Startup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cpostis View Post
    Yeah, just didn't want the negative feedback cause "Non-Outboard Engine", I shouldn't GAS.

As far as the controversy on ratio for "Shock Treatment", I call it de-carbonization"...
    I just found an old bottle of "Yamaha Ring Free", not "Yamaha Ring Free Plus".
    Here's a pic of the directions:

Note Directions: "SHOCK TREATMENT : 2 oz./gal".

I knew I saw this on a bottle before, NOW CONFIRMED!
    Some good info on that bottle cpostis. My Yamaha dealer couldn't tell me anything regarding shock treatments and furthermore told me not to waste time using Ring Free - a thought echoed by the service department. Interesting hey? With that said, I will be using it based on advice from this forum and also TownsendsFJR1300.

Did you see the 3.3L to 1.7L engines – 64 treated gallons MINUMUM shock treatment per engine! Woah that would be expensive.

Surely that would be over the top for a shock treatment! Just for 2 portable tanks at 6 gallons each would require 24 ounces of Ring Free costing me $80 Australian dollars from my dealer. 64 gallons at 2 oz/gal would be about $426 of Ring Free! That's not including the cost of fuel or Yamalube 2 stroke oil.
    Last edited by AK115V4-93; 10-01-2016, 01:58 PM.

Comment

It may pay to check with the Yamaha dealer to see what it would cost for them to run some of that special cleaner that only they can get and use threw your motor instead of shocking with ring free yourself.
      then run RF at normal rate with your fuel

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
        It may pay to check with the Yamaha dealer to see what it would cost for them to run some of that special cleaner that only they can get and use threw your motor instead of shocking with ring free yourself.
        I had a link for BOTH products your referring to but lost it somewhere...

If your ONLY concerned with the combustion chamber being cleaned that's fine. I don't believe those products clean the fuel system, varnish, etc.

And from reading from Rodbolts previous posts, that commercial grade stuff WILL de-carb badly stuck rings and an immediate oil change IS necessary.

There's this spray, I have no idea how to apply, maybe thru the spark plug hole??:
        http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/ya...BSN-CL-NR.html

An interesting pic in the middle with the use of RF vs NOT using it:
        http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outboard...et%20FINAL.pdf

I can't find the real good stuff....
        Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 10-02-2016, 11:40 AM.
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I wonder what they call extended storage when they state this.?Maybe more than a year?

Fuel Stabilizer and Conditioner PLUS
          Strongly recommended for E-10 fuels, this alcohol-free formula helps prevent fuel
          oxidation and phase separation. Use continuously to help keep fuel fresh, potent and free from gum and varnish for up to one year of storage.
          Its metal filmers provide

extensive protection for steel and aluminum components.
          ACC-FSTAB-PL-32 3.2 oz bottle
          (treats 5 gallons of fuel, not recommended
          for extended storage)

Comment

Did a little digging, I'm not going to send a bunch of links to "prove" what I say, but here's a summary IMO:

The secret ingredient in Yamaha Ring Free Plus, Yamaha Internal Engine Cleaner (YIEC), CRC 1 Tank Power Renew (They state "The highest concentration of PEA (Polyetheramine) detergency on the market", ヤマルーブ PEAカーボンクリーナー (Yamagata-LUBE PEA carbon cleaner, for sale in Japan only?), any many others appears to be "Polyetheramine" (PEA). Looking at the MSDS sheet for this chemical (Extreemly nasty stuff!), it states "for industrial use only". At what concentration, I do not know. So I presume YIEC is above the threshold, when the threshold began I don't know either? So the Yamaha "dealer-applied product"?

I'm sure all the various additives have somewhat different polyetheramine derivatives.

What this means, IRDC, because I use Ring Free regularly in my outboard I don't plan on having to decarb. Even if I did, I'll probably go to a dealer and have them use YIEC. Now, on my smaller non-outboard engines, I'll kind of shock treat (not decarb) the fuel system if they hard start or run poorly before I rebuild/clean the carbs. I've done this successfully quite a few times.

Patent US5112364 - Gasoline-engine fuels containing polyetheramines or polyetheramine derivatives - Google Patents
            http://worldaccount.basf.com/wa/NAFT...f880090860.pdf

Chuck,
            1997 Mako 191 w/2001 Yamaha SX150 TXRZ Pushing Her

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
              I agree, that would be the best way rather than spending hundreds on Ringfree for a "high level" combustion chamber decarb.

Based on what I’ve read on Ringfree, I’m still surprised my Yamaha marine dealer told me they don’t sell much of or even use it. Only the Combustion Chamber Cleaner spray. With that said, I got myself a bottle of Ringfree the other day. (They just had a price hike!)
              Last edited by AK115V4-93; 10-03-2016, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AK115V4-93 View Post
                With that said, I got myself a bottle of Ringfree the other day. (They just had a price hike!)
                Not here, ($41 and change delivered, 32oz):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=AX1JVH93K4B8Y

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                  Not here, $15 cheaper than the dealer:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=AX1JVH93K4B8Y
                  Interesting! That is considerably cheaper than in Australia. Where I am they want around the $95 mark for 32oz bottle and around $50 for 12oz. Wonder if they will ship internationally? I’ll have to investigate.

Comment

Originally posted by AK115V4-93 View Post
                    Interesting! That is considerably cheaper than in Australia. Where I am they want around the $95 mark for 32oz bottle and around $50 for 12oz. Wonder if they will ship internationally? I’ll have to investigate.
                    The dealer here is about $56, 57 plus tax US.

I bought 3 quarts last time and dumped one in my SUV this am ;(..

(I didn't know you were down under)
                    Scott

Comment

Working...
                    X